Printing Photos

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Printing Photos

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 31, 2011 10:32 am

So...I have for my own cavejournal just been printing some of my fav from each trip for inclusion. So far using the kodak kiosk at the local cvs has worked fine for this, it printed well and was cheap and easy to do.

But lately (ever since they updated the software on the kiosk)...it's been smeary or it doesn't render the black well at all and prints things "pixilated" even though the resolution is more than fine for even if I wanted enlargements much less the standard 4 x6 size. This last print was extra blue-y too, like, instead of black let's make it navy blue!

Uhm...I don't know where else to print. All the Kodak kiosks in the area have had this software update and are doing this same shitty job in printing. Ideas? I don't want expensive prints for this, but I want them to actually not look like a 4 yr old splattered ink on something and called it a photo. Just the 4 x 6 (or even better, whatever happened to the old 3 x 4 size I've not seen around in ages?). My printer doesn't do a great job with photo printing so that's not an option (and it's why I went to the kiosks in the firstplace)

I did find a camera mart store that you can upload photos online and they'll print them, and then you go pick them up. It's the place I got my flash gun from. Would I maybe have better luck with them? Like would they actually check that what they were printing matched the screen and wasn't blobbyweird and the colours were right and all that? And the dimentions of my photos...I like keeping them even if they aren't the 4x6 size ratio (I dont like how machines crop them - at the kiosks I could edit -> zoom and crop -> zoom out to keep the correct aspect ratio as the original). They aren't too expensive only $0.35/print (kodak machines are $0.20/print). But I worry about not being able to see it...

Ideas?
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Printing Photos

Postby batrotter » Oct 31, 2011 11:11 am

Print them at Walmart. You can upload them online and then go pick them up in an hour or have them mailed to you. They are as cheap as 13 cents. I've gotten good results from them.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby joestewart » Oct 31, 2011 4:38 pm

I upload to Flickr, edit, then order prints and pick them up immediately at Walmart or Walgreens usually or via mail when Snapfish has special offers.
joestewart
Occasional Poster

Name: Joe Stewart
NSS #: 58143
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 31, 2011 4:52 pm

I've always liked Adorama. Yeah, they do it by mail, but they're so cheap (they sometimes have sales: $4.95 for an 11x14), and fast (and convenient), it doesn't trouble me to wait about 2 days for my prints to come to my mailbox.

FYI, 4x6s are $0.13 at Costco.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 31, 2011 5:33 pm

I don't have a costco card.

I'll look into Adorama.

I tried Walmart but you cannot keep the aspect ratio of the image - they auto-stretch it to fit a 4x6 and there isn't any way around that.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 31, 2011 11:26 pm

Sungura wrote:I don't have a costco card.

I'll look into Adorama.

I tried Walmart but you cannot keep the aspect ratio of the image - they auto-stretch it to fit a 4x6 and there isn't any way around that.

Crop it at Walmart instead
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 1, 2011 1:46 am

I frequently get enlargements at Sam's Club - they are cheap enough to use as proofs when I want to pixel-peep. Walmart and Sam's use the same system/printer. I've had some issues at Wal Mart because the photo staff are sometimes a little incompetent. Sam's has been orders of magnitude better. I'm very picky about my cropping and aspect ratios.The staff terminal has more options than what you see on the kiosk terminals, and one of the staff lets me print from behind the counter when the store manager isn't looking. :big grin:

That said, I've had reasonable results from Wal Mart with photo books and calendars designed on line. I haven't ordered prints from a local pharmacy since the dark ages of 35mm film.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jon » Nov 26, 2011 11:46 pm

For wally world and I'm sure sam's club a lot depends on who is on shift when you go there. Anything I don't do real regular with a computer doesn't work. Seems like every interim that I'm not there some "new and improved" version shows up. Well that throws me for a loop. So I find the nerdyist/geekyist person who knows all and then arrange to get my work done when I know they are there. Seems they like the idea that they are helping a customer (much to their boss's delight) and are more than happy to help the helpless rather than do something menial. Find the brain and go there then. Hey wally world can be great nobody but us folks are in there!!!!
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Dec 6, 2011 9:52 pm

Sungura wrote:I don't have a costco card.

I'll look into Adorama.

Try adjusting the image size before you print it. I do this with mine. I use Wolf Camera to have them printed. You can order online and pick up in stores if you have one near you. For me, I have found they do a really great job. I prefer to have my pics printed with a matte finish.

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby JR-Orion » Dec 7, 2011 2:54 pm

I need to read up on some of these options. I used to just print stuff out at Walgreens, and it worked fine for a long time, but all of the sudden all of my prints were coming out with green tint. Of course they blamed my camera, not their printer. Bought a home photo printer and what do you know, no green tint. And no more Walgreens for me either.

The home printer is fine for occasional printing, but due to ink costs I've been looking for something like Adorama / Snapfish / Wal-mart for printing large batches.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Dec 7, 2011 6:42 pm

In the age of digital photography it seems to be a challenge to get colors to print accurately. There's a need to calibrate your monitor to some reference standard, and then the printer needs to be calibrated as well. I don't have the equipment to calibrate my monitor and have taken a few half-measures. I've been using Costco for prints. They have options when you submit your images to preview for cropping, and you can disallow any automatic color modification. The prints I've had made were pretty close to the colors displayed on my monitor. Their prices are hard to beat up to 20x30" and you can pick them up same day. You have to buy enough stuff annually to justify the membership fee though. When I submitted my first batch of prints I didn't pay close attention to the cropping and was disappointed. They didn't charge me for these and I corrected the issue next time around.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby HelenOster » Dec 8, 2011 2:41 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:I've always liked Adorama. Yeah, they do it by mail, but they're so cheap (they sometimes have sales: $4.95 for an 11x14), and fast (and convenient), it doesn't trouble me to wait about 2 days for my prints to come to my mailbox.

Good to hear! BTW if you ever need advice or after-sales support with any order from Adorama, I'm right here: Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
HelenOster
New Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum