Anybody seen Pokey? :sadbanana:
never kick a cow turd on a hot day.
Gumby
Occasional Poster

Name: Kevin Kealey
NSS #: 63378

Re: Photos of me! Critiques?

Postby pub » Nov 15, 2011 12:40 am

saw him in some of the previous replies and they took a stick to him repeatedly!!! :tonguecheek:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby caverdan » Nov 15, 2011 9:19 am

:off topic: Jon and Amy are both correct. The two pictures in the News clearly show two people on Stone River without the proper footware. That part of the cave has specific rules about being on Stone River and they are clearly breaking those rules. You would think that just coming from a NSS convention they would know better. Once again.......a picture is worth a thousand words. :down: :doh: :argue: :shrug:
Last edited by caverdan on Nov 15, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 15, 2011 10:54 am

caverdan wrote::off topic: Jon and Amy are both correct. The two pictures in the News clearly show two people on Stone River without the proper footware. That part of the cave has specific rules about being on Stone River and they are clearly breaking those rules. You would think that just coming from a NSS convention they would know better. Once again.......a picture is worth a thousand words.

Hopefully none of them.....including the photographer....... will be allowed back in the cave. :doh: :argue: :down: :shrug:

Thanks for reporting this.

I was going to post up in response to Amy* that while I disagree with her on some stuff, I fully support her comparing other photos that are conservation no-nos. For an internet forum, it is harder to cross reference a picture that isn't on line, may not have been received yet, and certainly isn't handy (to me). So, while she (apparently) has a very valid point, I can't see it.

What is it with people these days, anyhow? :down:

*But had been hoping the thread would die a natural death. :doh:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Extremeophile » Nov 15, 2011 5:29 pm

caverdan wrote::off topic: Jon and Amy are both correct. The two pictures in the News clearly show two people on Stone River without the proper footware. That part of the cave has specific rules about being on Stone River and they are clearly breaking those rules. You would think that just coming from a NSS convention they would know better. Once again.......a picture is worth a thousand words.

Hopefully none of them.....including the photographer....... will be allowed back in the cave. :doh: :argue: :down: :shrug:

This must be proper Stone River gear

Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby caverdan » Nov 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks Derek.....I deserved that.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Extremeophile » Nov 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Don't worry, I won't be submitting this one to the photo salon next year. They probably wouldn't accept it due to the lack of a helmet.

However, I do prefer the artistic qualities of boxers in caving photos more than corsets. That's a subjective value though.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Nov 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Nice legs, Dan! :rofl: :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Nov 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Extremeophile wrote:Don't worry, I won't be submitting this one to the photo salon next year. They probably wouldn't accept it due to the lack of a helmet.

However, I do prefer the artistic qualities of boxers in caving photos more than corsets. That's a subjective value though.

Is this a request for me to just wear boxers next time? :rofl: :woohoo:
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Sungura wrote:
Extremeophile wrote:However, I do prefer the artistic qualities of boxers in caving photos more than corsets. That's a subjective value though.

Is this a request for me to just wear boxers next time? :rofl: :woohoo:

No. No it is not.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Jon » Nov 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Just a brief answer here. Thankfully it wasn't tighty-whities or worse a red satin thong! :panic:
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Jon » Nov 16, 2011 11:31 pm

WOW this shut down in a hurry. Too graphic? At least I didn't mention garters. :yikes:
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby innermostphoto » Nov 20, 2011 8:18 pm

I reinterate...No, no it's not!!!

bob biddix
innermostphoto
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: insert your own meaningless abbr. here

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Dec 6, 2011 9:04 am

innermostphoto wrote:I totally agree with you, Andy!

To her credit at least they were not shots of crickets or salamanders!

bob biddix
Innermost Imagery
http://www.innermostimagery.com

Or shots of Valhalla, Neversink or Stephens Gap... While some may not prefer to see photos of these critters or caves they still win in the salons :grin: . I personally only like to do and see shots of these critters or caves if they are done differently. You'll never see me post a pic of one of the three above mentioned caves because until I do something different with the shot we've all seen it... One should try to be original, do thier own thing and be diverse. Amy you will learn as you go. You will find what works for you and what doesn't. Don't worry about what other cave photographers are doing and don't try to do the same shots they have done. One other thing I will point out because I do not see it mentioned already is that there are clearly marked trails in this section of this cave. In these photos it is obvious that you overstepped the marked trail for these photos. Cavers took the time to stack those lines of rocks for a reason. As tempting as it may be it's not necessary to get that close to these formations to get a good shot. Since these formations are not small next time try doing a larger shot, use more flash and get more of the cave in the photo.

Someone also mentioned that they felt like people would have not said these things to Amy in person... I disagree. When it comes to taboos in caving cavers will be honest face to face or on the internet. The problem is when you are reading something you do not get the respnders tone, you only get your perceived tone when you read it. 10 people can read this thread and can perceive it all differently. I feel like we all have an obligation to each other to let one know when they are doing something wrong or taboo. Sometimes our lives depend on it.

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby innermostphoto » Dec 8, 2011 1:48 pm

I agree the same shots over and over of the same places (nice and photogenic as they are) are over used in photo salons. How many times have we seen that same pic of someone climbing silhouette in Neversink? Anyone with a camera pointing at the sky can get that shot with virtually any point and shoot. Push and click, done. Same way with the recent pictures of critters in caves. Nothing artistic about it as it's the same flat ,non-technical, on camera image that any PHD camera (push here dummy) can create. I don't mind seeing them done differently either but they rarely are and they get submitted over and over again. Additionally I see a lot of photos that are really bad that people absolutely rave over and that is primarily due to people not knowing what a good photo really is but we have already had that conversation. I disagree not trying to emulate what other cave photogs are doing. That is how you progress and learn. Look at someones photo, analyze it, and create your own rendition of that photo. However, re-creating some photos can be a copywrite violation and now we are getting into gray areas that vary with each scenario. Main thing is keep shooting. It does not cost much to do anymore as when we had film as it used to cost me about $45 per weekend to get only 12 - 13 usable pictures! I look back on the photos I did 15 years ago and think they suck. Still some of the stuff only three years ago will still fall into that same suckin category. So what does that mean? It means the ones I do now are the best so far!

bob biddix
Innermost Imagery
http://www.innermostimagery.com
innermostphoto
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: insert your own meaningless abbr. here

PreviousNext

Return to Photography and Videography Forum