photos and comments on the photos

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

photos and comments on the photos

Postby tropicalbats » Mar 5, 2006 11:26 pm

Hey, so squirrelgirl wants to see more pictures of caves here. I tend to agree, so here's an open thread to post your pictures. Just post pictures or comments on the pictures and we should have a happy squirrel.

Here's one from my last trip.

Keith Christenson
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Mar 6, 2006 2:49 am

Shot 2 weeks ago on the big island of Hawai'i -

I didn't quite get inside, but the entrance sure was impressive! :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 7, 2006 6:41 pm

Thanks Kieffer. You know I love your pictures. Today I bought a little present for the last man to kiss me.
:kiss:
Lemme know when I give it to him.

NZ-- You're making me jealous. It's a life goal to see flowing lava. When I went to Hawaii, all I got to see were a few red rocks sloshing in the surf.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Mar 7, 2006 7:47 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:NZ-- You're making me jealous. It's a life goal to see flowing lava. When I went to Hawaii, all I got to see were a few red rocks sloshing in the surf.

Right place, right time, right information. :woohoo:

Don't bother asking the rangers - they seem to have a don't tell policy! Just hang out with the right group of cavers, and anything is possible. The real bonus was having a lava flow break out nearby on the evening of our hike. One of our party delighted in taunting the semi-liquid lava by jabbing it with his hiking pole. We also had a brief demonstration of how flowing Pahoehoe can support human weight - before the gentleman's boot sole started melting... :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 7, 2006 7:53 pm

NZcaver wrote:Don't bother asking the rangers - they seem to have a don't tell policy! Just hang out with the right group of cavers, and anything is possible.

We didn't ask. But we did bump into a ranger marking a property boundary. Then we were stuck. The ranger asked, "Who's in charge?" We all looded at one another, and said, "Yi dunno. Nobody." "Somebody's got to be in charge." "Uh, maybe Don here." Don looked at me and said, "She's a PhD geologist." The ranger said, "Then you'll have a permit." At that point we turned around.
:sad:

Later in the week, Don had arranged a "tour" with the HVO, but I had to go home for a family emergency, so I missed it.

I've heard they changed the rules and it's not illegal to go out anymore. But I don't know for sure.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Mar 7, 2006 8:13 pm

Permit, schmermit! :tonguecheek:

But I can see how your options were limited on that occasion. Don wasn't with us that particular evening... :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

your honey

Postby tropicalbats » Mar 8, 2006 1:07 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:Thanks Kieffer. You know I love your pictures. Today I bought a little present for the last man to kiss me.
:kiss:
Lemme know when I give it to him.

Skwrlgrl,

Anytime you wanna stop by, just let me know. The door's open, and I'll bet there's another kiss for you a-waiting!

Just to pretend we're talking about caving photos here...

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby mcfarnell » Mar 14, 2006 9:10 pm

Prince Albert Cave - Lava Tube near Mt. St. Helens
mcfarnell
Infrequent Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum