Nikon L110 or similar? (aka not dSLR, but not P&S)

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Nikon L110 or similar? (aka not dSLR, but not P&S)

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this range of cameras in-cave? I am tired of not being able to have enough control over my P&S settings, I've gotten too used to my dSLR above ground but I don't want to spend the money nor mess with always dragging that and lenses underground. I thought one of these "not P&S but not dSLR" in-betweens would be a good compromise - no lenses to drag around, more compact than an SLR, but lots of control and function of a SLR.

But...specs mean nothing sometimes. Great specs doesn't mean it works well in low light conditions of caving.

I am used to the Nikon brand so I'd like to stick with it but am willing to try something else if ya'all say it is good.

I specifically ask about the L110 since it seems they are poping up on craigslist around here a lot for like $100-$150, which is about half the list price for that camera. I've also seen the P100 pop up for $175 range, which looks like an even better version of the L110.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Nikon L110 or similar? (aka not dSLR, but not P&S)

Postby NZcaver » Feb 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Small suggestion. No, I'm not familiar with this range of Nikons. But I do have a similar Canon super zoom. These types of cameras are fairly convenient to carry and give reasonable results for general outdoor and wildlife photography (good enough for casual hobbyists, anyway). But I've found for their size, weight and ergonomics, they really aren't all that useful in caves.

My personal primary caving camera is an old Olympus, but I've heard the Canon G-range (G12 etc) makes an excellent caving camera with full controls. A Google search reveals that the closest Nikon equivalent would be the P-range (P6000 or its predecessors). I know nothing about Nikons, but at first glance these look like nice cameras which might be more caver-practical than a super zoom. Of course none of these cameras are waterproof/mudproof, but everything's a compromise.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Nikon L110 or similar? (aka not dSLR, but not P&S)

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 24, 2011 8:03 pm

G12's are great. I used to drag my rebel SLR (with lens attached) in a big orange Pelican. I now use a Canon S90 (S95 is newer better version) in teenie otterbox. No hotshoe, so your limited in that respect, but I find that it takes good pictures (has a built in low light mode) and that I actually use it to take lots of pictures. I used to either leave the camera at home or just do a few token shots with the big pelican. Now I can whip open the otterbox, clickety clickety, and keep cavin. I by no means would pawn this off as the "ideal" cave camera, but its a super small package that gives lots of control.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum