GoPro 6 Settings

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

GoPro 6 Settings

Postby Caver Keith » Feb 22, 2018 4:48 pm

I've just purchased a GoPro HERO6 Camera - Black. I gave it a quick try-out on Sunday and my initial impressions are very favourable.

Has anyone else got one of these and if so can you offer any advice on settings?

For this video I used two cameras - my Lumix GX7 and the GoPro.

Caver Keith
Frequent Poster

Name: Keith Edwards
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dudley Caving Club

Re: GoPro 6 Settings

Postby ohiocaver » Feb 23, 2018 8:30 am

Looks to me like you've got the settings pretty dialed in. I use a 5-Black and don't always get the good color through the depth of field that you have here. What was YOUR setup? I'm guessing you use a mini tripod, as well? Did you have any extra lighting - especially in the wider or big room shots? Or, what's your headlamp?
I use Zebra lights and, as long as I'm fairly close (say 10-12 feet) to the subject or the formation, I get good results.
BTW, when I saw the initial shot of the cave entrance, I'd have sworn it was Sinks of the Roundstone in Kentucky.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby Caver Keith » Feb 23, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks Curt.

The GoPro shots were all taken with the camera mounted on a GoPro Handler Floating Hand Grip (https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/mounts/the- ... M-002.html). It does seem to be a good way of holding the camera steady. Also the GoPro 6 appears to have good image stabilisation. The GoPro was set at 2.7K and 50 frames per second. Although the edited video is HD 1080p, using the higher definition setting allows Ken Burns to be added without loss of image quality. Also I've read reviews where it appears that using the higher definition settings improves dynamic range and reduces noise. Perhaps I should try 4K next time.

The opening shots were taken with my Lumix GX7 mounted on a tripod.

Lighting is very important. Two of us have Scurion 1300 lumen helmet lamps, but for the longer shots I used 3, 3800 lumen Fenix FD65 focusable torches (https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/f ... lashlight/). These are excellent for video with a very white light, no hotspots and of course very, very bright. Oh and the torches are waterproof too! We tested this out when one got accidentally dropped in the underground river. It survived a 10-minute dunking at a depth of 60cm while we frantically searched for it.

Keith
Caver Keith
Frequent Poster

Name: Keith Edwards
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dudley Caving Club

Postby ohiocaver » Feb 28, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks for the info. Funny...I have a Handler but only have used it while diving - I shouldn't be so linear in my thinking! :laughing:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Return to Photography and Videography Forum