Bat Conservation Internship with GADNR

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bat Conservation Internship with GADNR

Postby Batgirl » Mar 18, 2010 2:20 pm

BAT CONSERVATION INTERNSHIP
Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division The Nongame Conservation Section is offering 2 full-time internships for summer 2010.

These internships will focus on a variety of bat work across the state of Georgia. Activities will include, but are not limited to, mist-netting, anabat sampling, roost searching, cave emergence counts, radio-telemetry, data entry and GIS work. Interns must be willing to work in a team of two for long days (> 10 hours) under physically challenging conditions (e.g., hot days traveling through swamps) and will frequently be required to travel over-night. Travel to study sites will be by state vehicle. Lodging during the week is primitive and will often include overnight stays in check stations or camping. Weekend lodging will only be provided when weekend work is necessary. Individuals with an interest in bat conservation and management are encouraged to apply.

Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must have a valid class C driver’s license. Interns should be comfortable working at night and working in uncomfortable field conditions where encounters with snakes, alligators, biting insects etc. are possible. Interns should be in good physical condition and able to endure outdoor work during hot and humid weather. Interns should be comfortable performing computer-based work and have some knowledge of basic science, ecology and wildlife biology.

Preferred Qualifications: Preference will be given to individuals that have current rabies vaccinations and have experience with bat capture and ID techniques. Some experience using a GPS and GIS programs is also preferred.

Duration: May 15th through August 15th. Start and end dates are flexible.
Salary: $10.49 per hour.

How to apply:
Email or mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 2 references to:
Trina Morris, Wildlife Biologist
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
Nongame Conservation Section
Wildlife Resources Conservation Center
2065 U.S. Highway 278 SE
Social Circle, GA 30025-4743
katrina.morris@dnr.state.ga.us

Questions Email: katrina.morris@dnr.state.ga.us or Phone: 770-918-6411
Deadline: Application must be received by March 30th
The Georgia Department of Natural Resources is an equal-opportunity employer
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Re: Bat Conservation Internship with GADNR

Postby trogman » Mar 19, 2010 9:06 am

Wow! You get to do all that fun stuff and get paid for it too!!? :banana_yay:

Seriously, though, for the kind of qualifications they are asking for, $10.49 an hour doesn't seem like very good pay. I guess in this economy, any job making anything above minimum wage is a good thing. Sounds like you might have to wade through swamps and wrestle gators. :yikes: I'm wondering which caves they are going to that are in that kind of habitat. Most of my caving in GA has been in the Cumberland Plateau; not a lot of gators up in that area.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Re: Bat Conservation Internship with GADNR

Postby Joseph W. Dixon » Mar 20, 2010 3:46 pm

trogman wrote:for the kind of qualifications they are asking for, $10.49 an hour doesn't seem like very good pay

Actually, for an intern in that field I would say that's probably an industry standard wage. Obviously wages are going to vary from state to state so I can't speak for that particularly intership, but I can tell you we pay interns about the same.

I, like several other members on this forum, work professionally in natural resources (in addition to also being a caver) and I'm sure all of them will agree with me - none of us are getting rich doing it and we sure didn't get into this profession for the money!

Low wages (especially when you're just starting your career) is something you just have to live with in our profession.
Joseph W. Dixon
Occasional Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Return to Everything Bats