hockey players kill bat

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

hockey players kill bat

Postby wendy » Dec 17, 2009 7:49 pm

http://www.ajc.com/video?bcpid=16598253 ... 7932905001

This is really sad and i think the doctor in the video was wrong, if you get bitten by a bat you don't get rabies and you die, you go get some rabies shots. Isn't it a crime to kill a bat?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: hockey players kill bat

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Dec 17, 2009 10:53 pm

wendy wrote: Isn't it a crime to kill a bat?
... it is to us :down:
Dumb ignorant hockey coach and players...
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 18, 2009 5:21 am

I'm nowhere near a PETA person, but geez, gratuitous killing of an animal? If it were a dog on the ice, would they have said, "Let's beat the dog to death to get rid of it!"?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby bronzzhorse » Dec 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Not to make light of the subject, but it seems to me like lately that bats are apparently quite the little sports fans.... It was only a couple months ago, one was killed while attending a NBA basket-ball game...Now another one at a hockey game...The one at the Hockey game looked like he just wanted to play with everyone else. He kept swooping down on the ice and getting all up in the players faces, just like another hockey player would...Anyone stop to think maybe the bat just wants to play too??..Next thing you know, there will be bats in the End-zone seating of the Super-Bowl, wearing Funny Mascot Helmets and painting big letters on their big hairy chest, drinkin beers beers beers, lol....Put THAT on prime time !!!
Like I said, I'm not trying to make light of the subject, just trying to find SOME form of humor in a "hard-to-swallow pill".
On a more serious note, when was that video made?? If it was very recently, then shouldnt that bat be HIBERNATING instead of trying to watch/participate in the big game????
CHEERS!!
Josh
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712
Co-Chair: Six Ridges Grotto

"Carpe Infinium".....Take it ALL!!!
"Molan Labe" ........ Come and Get Some!!
bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh
NSS #: 60712
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Six Ridges Grotto

Postby caverdan » Dec 18, 2009 6:19 pm

That bat should have been checked for WNS!! :doh: :yikes: :doh: :yikes: It might help explain why it was out flying around in the middle of winter.....in Wisconsin no less.

At the very least......the ref should have called high sticking and sent everyone to the penalty box. :hairpull: :sadbanana: :shock: :bat: :sorry:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 19, 2009 12:00 am

FYI: the bat at the NBA game wasn't killed.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ArCaver » Dec 19, 2009 6:58 am

If I were caught in a cave on public land I could be fined thousands of dollars because I might be carrying a pathogen fatal to bats. These guys use a bat as a hockey puck, and apparently enjoyed it. Does anyone know if they were cited for animal cruelty?
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 20, 2009 5:14 pm

bats do periodically wake up during winter and may even fly outside for short periods. This has been a warm winter in S IN and I wonder what the temps were in WI. Also, if the bat was using the building to hibernate (as is common with species like Big Brown bats) then the hoopla of the game may have woke him up. It is also possible he was after moisture from the ice surface.

Obviously they applied an innacurate and demeaning stereotype to the bat leading to their disregard of it's value. I guess I can understand since I dont expect hockey players and coaches of hockey players to be the thinking type....
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » May 19, 2010 2:52 pm

wendy wrote:http://www.ajc.com/video?bcpid=1659825399&bclid=1716449804&bctid=57932905001

This is really sad and i think the doctor in the video was wrong, if you get bitten by a bat you don't get rabies and you die, you go get some rabies shots. Isn't it a crime to kill a bat?

I can't get the link to open for some reason.

Don't they normally kill the animal to check the brain for rabies after it bites? Have you ever had rabies shots? I haven't but I know someone who has. Apparently they're extremely painful.

Did they abuse the bat by torturing it or did they kill it to dissect it? Was it the police who killed it or someone else? I can't form an opinion until I know.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Return to Everything Bats