Nightline 10/29 - Bats

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Nightline 10/29 - Bats

Postby Phil Winkler » Nov 2, 2009 2:35 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=8962985

Features Texas Caver Greg Passmore.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Re: Nightline 10/29 - Bats

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 4, 2009 5:02 am

I just stumbled on this without seeing your link, Phil. They've got a few errors. The text above the video calls bats "flying rodents." :doh:

They also said they went to a cave the Blue Ridge mountains (?) and had a wildlife biologist from West Virginia. Methinks they weren't really in the Blue Ridge.

I was sorry to see that they said while some people think bats are great, there were a lot of others for whom bats personify evil (my words), and they didn't seem to want to correct misperceptions, only to show two different ways of looking at bats. I would have hoped that they would try and educate people out of their unwarranted fears.

But this was a short clip about a guy making a movie. Maybe the full movie will be great.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

A bit tangential to the subject, but...

Postby Cavernuke » Nov 4, 2009 4:47 pm

watching the video, I just have to ask -

Where did Batman and Robin learn their Vertical skills? It certainly wasn't at an NSS-sponsored Vertical workshop.

Nuke
Cavernuke
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56251
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wisconsin Speleological Society

Re: Nightline 10/29 - Bats

Postby NZcaver » Nov 4, 2009 5:25 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:I was sorry to see that they said while some people think bats are great, there were a lot of others for whom bats personify evil (my words), and they didn't seem to want to correct misperceptions, only to show two different ways of looking at bats. I would have hoped that they would try and educate people out of their unwarranted fears.

Educate people out of their unwarranted fears? I doubt that will ever happen, certainly not on a broad scale. Right or wrong the whole spooky Dracula blood-sucking Halloween thing will always be the first thought your average person equates with bats. I don't think we can fight that. But I think it's good that the film will explore 'both sides' (myth and reality), and therefore will likely appeal to a broader range of viewers. If it was only about correcting misconceptions and going on and on about how great bats are, well frankly it might be just another boring documentary to most people. Sorry. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Everything Bats