So.......saw a bat take flight from the ground

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

So.......saw a bat take flight from the ground

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 8, 2009 1:28 pm

Yesterday, we were mapping a new cave and we found a bat, a small brown or pip, lying on its back in the dirt, gasping for air. We figured it was dying or something so we were all sitting around, and after a few minutes the damn thing leaped into the air and took off flying down the cave. It was the most bizarre thing we had ever seen. NONE of us had ever heard or knew that bats could take flight while on the ground, much less while lying on their back. Is this common? lol it freaked us all out as it damn near flew into all of our faces!
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: So.......saw a bat take flight from the ground

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Feb 8, 2009 2:19 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Yesterday, we were mapping a new cave and we found a bat, a small brown or pip, lying on its back in the dirt, gasping for air. We figured it was dying or something so we were all sitting around, and after a few minutes the damn thing leaped into the air and took off flying down the cave. It was the most bizarre thing we had ever seen. NONE of us had ever heard or knew that bats could take flight while on the ground, much less while lying on their back. Is this common? lol it freaked us all out as it damn near flew into all of our faces!

My guess is that the little fella must've ran into something and knonked itself out and you guys just happened along... Bats can turn off their sonar once they get very familiar with a cave and it's passages but sometimes one forgets or heard you guys coming along yelling "on station... distance 12.6...azimuth ..." or whatever, got it confused and whammo too close to the ceiling or hit a stal.
One would imagine that the critters are agile enough to take off from the ground, even on their backs. I've seen them doing it on their stomachs. A little hop and zing they're gone.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby John Chenger » Feb 8, 2009 7:35 pm

they will also take off from the surface of the water...some better than others though.

Most will drown if they fall into water while arousing from hibernation though, if you ever come across big clusters above water in the winter it's best to avoid that section.
John Chenger
Prolific Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Feb 9, 2009 10:00 am

John Chenger wrote:they will also take off from the surface of the water...some better than others though.

Most will drown if they fall into water while arousing from hibernation though, if you ever come across big clusters above water in the winter it's best to avoid that section.

Great point... as they use the water to help deter possible predators.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby StevenSmith » Feb 9, 2009 12:33 pm

I witnessed two bats take flight from my concrete driveway after a short baby bat making session :rofl:

I was out in my yard one evening after dark. I heard a loud thump followed up by squeaking noises. I thought a bird had flown into my SUV or something. I walked over to the spot on my driveway where I heard the noise and looked down. Two bats had apparently locked up in-flight and crash landed in my driveway. They were uninjured and were having fun getting it on for about 30 seconds. I wanted to get a photo but I didn't have time to get a camera. They finished their business and both took flight from the ground. It was both cool and weird at the same time.

Steven Smith
Steven Smith
stevensmith1974 (at) gmail.com
706-217-8183
Rocky Face, GA
NSS#60925
StevenSmith
Frequent Poster

Name: Steven Smith
NSS #: 60925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 9, 2009 5:37 pm

To add to what John said, big clusters over water in winter pose a danger to hibernating bats, but even worse are big clusters over water in Summer. In the midwest these are typically Gray bat maternity colonies. They are very hyper sensitive to disturbance and baby bats aren't known for their swimming skills.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 9, 2009 8:22 pm

Ive found in my short career, there is never a dull day caving, lol. Thats just amazing. ive learned to keep an eye out for bats in low crawls. I have been finding them everywhere in low places lately.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby onebat » Feb 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Yes, I used to think that the only places bats usally are, is hanging from the ceiling. I too have noticed that they seem to 'hang out' anywhere, including low places.
Someone once told me that they had visited caves out west and that the bats would land on, and take off of them! I think they were the Mexican Freetails.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby InTucky » Feb 12, 2009 1:14 pm

I saved a bat out of the ohio river about 5 years ago, that was about to be fish food. Kept seeing something splashing on top of the water, finally went over, and seen it was a bat :yikes: Grabbed it out of the water, dried it with a towel, and he/she hung out in the boat for about 20 minutes then finally took off.

:cavingrocks: :bat sticker: :bananabat:
I don't know how long it is
Yes we have to go back the same way!
Dry Socks.......Gods greatest creation!
InTucky
Frequent Poster

Name: Dustin Tandy
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Cincinnati Grotto

Return to Everything Bats