Bats and Wind Turbines: Study Launched

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bats and Wind Turbines: Study Launched

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 18, 2008 4:55 pm

Research team probes wind turbines effect on bat population :bananabat: :banana_yay:

SUMMIT -- One of the world's largest wind power owner-operators is making history here on one of the numerous ridges that comprise the Allegheny Mountains.

Some 65 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, in Somerset County, Iberdrola Renewables Inc. agreed to let an independent scientific team study the impact of turbines on the local bat population when the company's 10-month-old wind farm in Summit Township is temporarily shut down.

Believed to be a first by a wind farm owner, Iberdrola Renewables provided funding for the project, conducted by representatives of Bat Conservation International, an Austin, Texas, organization dedicated to bat conservation, education and research initiatives.

Read on: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 93702.html :bat2:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Bats and Wind Turbines: Study Launched

Postby baa43003 » Oct 25, 2008 5:28 pm

The November 2008 issue of Smithsonian magazine has a blurb about bats and wind farms (page 16). It states that researchers at University of Calgary have shown that bats die as they migrate through wind farms due to "barotrauma." They claim barotrauma occurs when the turbines' blades create low pressure, causing the bats' lungs to over-expand, tear, and bleed. Sounds weird to me but I admit I don't know squat about bat lungs. I wonder if the Calgary folks are involved with the Iberdrola project?
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby SpeleoRover » Oct 28, 2008 6:35 pm

Dr. Dave Buehler and Ms. Jenny Fiedler did a bat and bird mortality project in the Cumberland Mts in TN a few years back, too.
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby answerguru » Oct 29, 2008 1:12 pm

I'm interested to see their results...most of the quotes online regarding bird / bat deaths relate to the wind farm located in the hills East of San Francisco. The problems there are exaggerated because the wind farm was built in the middle of a bird migratory path and the wind turbines are very old - meaning they are smaller and rotate at a much faster rate than the giant turbines in use today.

I'm not saying there isn't any negative effect on populations, I'm just glad that it's being studied so we can have valid answers and mitigate them appropriately.
Jonny
SoCoMoGro
Woodland Park, CO
answerguru
Infrequent Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Oct 29, 2008 2:02 pm

Whatever the result are, be sure to see how they do the count. For a local wind farm, they found 36 dead bats over an 11 month period....but extrapolated that to be the equivalent of 1200 bats killed. Wish I could get my paycheck calculated that way. :doh:
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Return to Everything Bats