FS plans work on bat cave near Redstone, in CO

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Sep 29, 2008 8:07 am

http://www.postindependent.com:80/artic ... 20Redstone

The link will take you to Glenwood Springs Post Independent - Glenwood Springs,CO,USA showing that the project is a cooperative effort between the state of Colorado, White River National Forest, Pitkin County, Colorado Cave Survey and Robert Congdon, ...
:bat sticker:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: FS plans work on bat cave near Redstone, in CO

Postby caverdan » Sep 29, 2008 8:51 am

Hey Ernie,
You'll have a chance to check this mine/cave out at the 2011 NSS Convention. There is also a hot springs in the river right close to it. Caving and Hot Springing. :banana: :bananabat: :banana_yay:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Ernie Coffman » Sep 29, 2008 9:02 am

That will be great Dan! Didn't know if this site would be out-of-bounds or what. Glad to see that Colorado is thinking big time for 2011, which seems a long ways off, but...being involved on a convention, it's truly not! Been there! Done that! :clap:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Colorado Carl » Sep 29, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm not quite sure what Dan means by "You'll have a chance to check this mine/cave out at the 2011 NSS Convention." As the article indicates the mines are being gated to protect the Townsend's Big Eared bats that roost there. The mines (and the limited cave passages they intersect) are of extremely limited recreational interest. For those two reasons, I would not expect any recreational access to these mines near Redstone during the 2011 convention. There is certainly no recreational access to the mines at this time. I'm guessing that legitimate research related access could be negotiated. Hope no one is too disappointed.

Don't worry though! There are LOTS of caves that WILL be accessible during the 2011 Convention. And those hot springs Dan mentions can be found all over the place too!

Finally, it is really a pleasure to see that these bat gates are finally getting installed. For a situation that started off with a bit of controversy, the five parties mentioned in the article really came together in the end to do something good for the bats.

Cheers,

Carl
Colorado Cave Survey
Colorado Carl
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Sep 30, 2008 1:05 am

Thanks for the update, Carl. I was wondering whether Dan was writing about this particular cave, near Redstone, or some other one in the great state of Colorado. Anyway about it, I'm looking forward to getting back to Colorado...and know that you guys/gals will be putting on a great convention, as it was the last time it was there. :clap: I know, I know! We're getting a little :off topic:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Oct 9, 2008 8:26 am

Well.....we can at least check out the fine gate they are going to install. I'll have to work on getting us a permit to at least check out the lifesize sculpture and upper level. It's a work of art I have yet to see...............but then again..........the land managers in the area tend to lock them up and throw away the key. :down:

There always seems to be that "talk of gating" around here. :down:

Hopefully they won't gate them all before convention. :argue:
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Oct 9, 2008 11:15 am

caverdan wrote:Well.....we can at least check out the fine gate they are going to install. I'll have to work on getting us a permit to at least check out the lifesize sculpture and upper level. It's a work of art I have yet to see...............but then again..........the land managers in the area tend to lock them up and throw away the key. :down:
There always seems to be that "talk of gating" around here. :down:
Hopefully they won't gate them all before convention. :argue:

Gating caves, like government spending, just might be getting out of control. Conservation is a great thing....to a point.
Beyond that point, it becomes fanatical with no end in site (other than running out of caves/mines to gate). Since I have no knowledge of the details concerning the gating of this cave/mine, I will not give an opinion. However, I feel that anyone who objects to this gating should express their opinion to their legislators and forest service department heads. Likewise, those in favor could do the same. I feel it is important for government agencies to know how the public feels about such things. Especially from the few individuals who might actually participate in some form of recreation regarding the cave/mine involved.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Oct 10, 2008 8:06 am

This mine add-it does need to be refortified and possibly gated due to the large bat population inside and the threat of collapse. I have no problem with their decision here............A mine is a mine and I'm all for protecting the bats. This one does intersect cave in spots.......but the lower level also contains areas of deadly gas(and hot springs).

It's the talk of gating a 400' very hard to locate cave that has me a little worried. :down: We'll wait and see what happens at the upcoming CCS meeting this weekend.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Oct 10, 2008 9:07 am

caverdan wrote:This mine add-it does need to be refortified and possibly gated due to the large bat population inside and the threat of collapse. I have no problem with their decision here............A mine is a mine and I'm all for protecting the bats. This one does intersect cave in spots.......but the lower level also contains areas of deadly gas(and hot springs).

It's the talk of gating a 400' very hard to locate cave that has me a little worried. :down: We'll wait and see what happens at the upcoming CCS meeting this weekend.

Judging by your statement caverdan, the adit/mine does sound like a reasonable candidate for gating. But, as you mentioned,
gating the "very hard to locate cave" should have you worried, depending on the proposed access policy. :exactly:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Everything Bats