ID a bat

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

ID a bat

Postby devil dog grotto » Jul 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Can a lab ID a bat by the guano that it leaves behind. I have found an area that has some guano in my cave and was woundering it the species of bat can be ID'ed. :bat sticker:
devil dog grotto
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jon Durall

Re: ID a bat

Postby wyandottecaver » Jul 17, 2008 4:32 pm

yes and no. in some cases the size and shape of guano can be indicative or at least lead to a educated guess. In can also be important where it is found and how much. That *can* tell you things like whether it is from colonial and/or year round use or winter use. A lab could also check for traces of Dna, parasites, and food items. All these are helpful. The other question is cost. Most biologists can look at a piece of poo for free, but doing DNA or other in-depth analysis will likely cost you. In any event, things like where the cave is, where the guano is, how much, etc are probably going to be just as important. Also remember that there might be several species of bat guano intermixed together even from bats who aren't long term residents. So the sample you send might not be representative.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 18, 2008 9:09 am

devil dog grotto wrote:Can a lab ID a bat by the guano that it leaves behind. I have found an area that has some guano in my cave and was woundering it the species of bat can be ID'ed. :bat sticker:

Instead of spending big bucks on DNA analysis try getting one of those hunting trail cameras and set it up inside or just outside of the cave entrance and pointed so that it can catch the bats as they fly in and out... maybe you'll get lucky and get a good picture.
Even more lucky might catch someone who isn't supposed to be there.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby devil dog grotto » Jul 18, 2008 11:58 am

Ralph E. Powers wrote:
devil dog grotto wrote:Can a lab ID a bat by the guano that it leaves behind. I have found an area that has some guano in my cave and was woundering it the species of bat can be ID'ed. :bat sticker:

Instead of spending big bucks on DNA analysis try getting one of those hunting trail cameras and set it up inside or just outside of the cave entrance and pointed so that it can catch the bats as they fly in and out... maybe you'll get lucky and get a good picture.
Even more lucky might catch someone who isn't supposed to be there.

that is a great idea and i can catch other wildlife at the same time. near the enterance up to 200' in barred owls are seen flying around and in the cave also
devil dog grotto
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jon Durall

Return to Everything Bats