Bat colonies moving?

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bat colonies moving?

Postby Vader » Dec 9, 2007 1:08 pm

I have been caving for about 20 years now. I never have paid much attention to bats, but I have seen them every once in a while. About 7 years ago some friends and I came across a mine located in southwestern Colorado. We wanted to go in and check it out, but there were at least 100 bats swooping around inside the small walk in entrance.

Now 7 years later we want to go back to this same mine to see if the bat colony will fly out at dusk.

My question is, Are bat colonies likely to stay in the same mine/cave for years? I am just wondering if it might be worth making the 2 hour trip up to the same mine. I have no way of telling what the size of the colony was (at least 100), but if it was a small colony is it likely that they might have moved on to a different cave/mine after 7 years?

Vader
Frequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 9, 2007 10:03 pm

yes and no :) depends on the species and whether the conditions are still good. In general terms cave dwelling bats tend to return to at least the same area each year and frequently the same location. If they were just congregating for mating purpooses time of year might be important too. colonies can move if disturbed or they find a better place. I'd say your chances are pretty good though.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Dec 10, 2007 12:42 am

Above reply is accurate, but I might suggest that mid-December in Colorado is more a time for bats to be sleeping rather than flying out at dusk.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby Teresa » Dec 11, 2007 10:23 am

Here is a link to some bats who live outside during the winter in Missouri, and apparently do not hibernate for the whole season.
http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2007/12/10.htm
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Vader » Dec 13, 2007 12:05 am

Thanks for the opinions and the link. I think next year I will head back up there. :-)
Vader
Frequent Poster

Return to Everything Bats