Large Bat?

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Large Bat?

Postby Vertigo » Aug 27, 2007 3:59 pm

Is there any species of bat in eastern TN that is large enough to be mistaken for an owl??? One of my friends said he saw a really large bat in TN at a lake near Benton, TN. :bat:
Vertigo
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Aug 27, 2007 6:44 pm

A fruit bat or flying fox, not sure if you get them over there though (wikipedia tells me you don't) but they have a wing span up to 1.5m (5 feet) :bat:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Aug 28, 2007 12:11 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:A fruit bat or flying fox, not sure if you get them over there though (wikipedia tells me you don't) but they have a wing span up to 1.5m (5 feet) :bat:

Flying foxes are generally tropical bats, feeding on fruits in jungle type areas. TAG hardly qualifies.
Your friend probably did see an owl, they sometimes roost in caves near the twilight zones.
If am not mistaken the largest (intercontinental) U.S. bat would have to be the Big Brown.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Teresa » Aug 28, 2007 12:28 pm

There are a number of night-flying insect-eating birds like some swallows or nighthawks (nightjars) (not bats nor owls) which swoop erratically like bats. It's a good bug catching adaptation.

If your friend heard the bird, it probably was not an owl...they're creepy that way...you hear nothing but feel the wind move where they've disturbed it.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Komebeaux » Aug 29, 2007 12:40 pm

I think the Mastiff Bat is bigger than a Big Brown, as is the Hoary Bat. While the Hoary Bat might officially call Tennessee home, I think they have not confirmed any Mastiff Bat out that way.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby wyandottecaver » Sep 4, 2007 9:00 pm

having observed and handled thousands of bats as well as responded to numerous "bats in my house" calls I will also point out that many people over estimate the size of bats on the wing. scale can be deceiving and so assuming they did in fact see a bat it could have been a "normal" size bat that appeared larger outlined by the sky.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Everything Bats