Bat/Disease Connection

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 10, 2007 8:25 pm

true. but both rats and even yellowstone buffalo have been persecuted when perceived as a disease risk. Of course we often shun people seen as disease carriers too!
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Oct 12, 2007 3:49 pm

tallgirl wrote:
wyandottecaver wrote:i think on the whole humans care about mammals and birds more than they do endangered plants, insects, or fish

I don't like endangered mammals. Too cuddly and cute. On the other hand, absolutely *no one* cares about endangered rocks and minerals, but everyone seems very happy to bust the heck out of them, regardless if it is part of a scenic view, animal or plant habitat, or even just a driveway.

Rock fanciers are about as environmentally friendly as butterfly entusiasts, whp kill the object of their affection.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Oct 12, 2007 4:47 pm

I'm for busting rocks. But only very ordinary rocks. No formations,
or unique places. Can of worms? I hope not.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Teresa wrote:I don't like endangered mammals. Too cuddly and cute. On the other hand, absolutely *no one* cares about endangered rocks and minerals

So Teresa... it was really you who started that whole "pet rock" thing, wasn't it? :tonguecheek: :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 12, 2007 5:17 pm

Teresa wrote:I don't like endangered mammals. Too cuddly and cute.

He's soooo snoooooogie!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 13, 2007 12:45 pm

LOL hey I had a aquarium of darters for a long time ( all non endangered) They are relatiely easy to keep and very personable.

I have to say that I am guilty of loving rocks so long as they don't block going passages :P Of course formations are a different story.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 13, 2007 8:21 pm

Someone said Endangered Species and the thing that instantly popped in to my mind was "snail darter." It was one of those "you say 'black'" "I say 'white.'" "You say 'salt,'" "I say 'pepper'" things.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Teresa » Oct 13, 2007 11:06 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Teresa wrote:I don't like endangered mammals. Too cuddly and cute. On the other hand, absolutely *no one* cares about endangered rocks and minerals

So Teresa... it was really you who started that whole "pet rock" thing, wasn't it? :tonguecheek: :laughing:

No, but I wish I had. I could have retired at a very early age. Put a rock in a box with some shredded wadding (about 35-40 cents worth of material) and sell it for 10x the total cost. Wow. The stones cost about a penny.

I actually do have one of the pet rocks. Not from a box, but from a stone yard which found out where they came from, bought a traincar load, and sold them one at a time. (Ok, so it kidnapped the rocks from their home in Mexico brought them north as illegal immigrants and sold them into rock slavery to people who treated them as pets. )

We're way OT -- I know it. I'll be quiet now.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Everything Bats