Saw a bat, was it sick?

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Saw a bat, was it sick?

Postby bigalpha » Jun 14, 2007 10:09 pm

Came home just the other day, and there was a lone bat roosting on the bricks right beside the door. It hardly flinched when I opened the door. Later on that night, about 9pm (it was dark), I had gone outside, and the bat was still there, but it had spread it's wings out kinda.

It was gone when I came home around 1030pm, and was back in the morning. It left that night and I haven't seen it since.

My question is:
1. Do bats regularly roost on the side of a brick house, when there
are trees not 10 ft. away?

I don't know much about bat behavior, but I thought it mighta been sick since it was roosting right next to my front door and didn't move when I opened it.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Komebeaux » Jun 15, 2007 8:10 am

It was most likely just a transient (sp?) passing through to it's summer home. I have seen bats roosting on the side of brick houses before. That of course does not exclude the bat being sick. You just never know. So, to answer your question 1. Yes, I do believe that is pretty common behavior, but anyone that disagrees please chime in.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

bats on the house

Postby monicak » Jun 16, 2007 5:36 am

We have had bats that roost in a tiny space under our home's wood siding. The do like the spot over the door we all use to enter the house. I see trail of guano and thats the clue to where they are hanging out.

We have a light on at the door all night so it is just like a blinking Bat Diner sign. We have a very big street light on this side of the house and the bugs love it. I also see trails of guano on my windows. It seems that bugs like our windows too and the bats come and scoop them up. Bats excrete every time they feed and when they turn out after roosting.
monicak
Occasional Poster

Re: Saw a bat, was it sick?

Postby PamSales » Jun 19, 2007 11:23 pm

bigalpha wrote:Came home just the other day, and there was a lone bat roosting on the bricks right beside the door. It hardly flinched when I opened the door. Later on that night, about 9pm (it was dark), I had gone outside, and the bat was still there, but it had spread it's wings out kinda.

It was gone when I came home around 1030pm, and was back in the morning. It left that night and I haven't seen it since.

My question is:
1. Do bats regularly roost on the side of a brick house, when there
are trees not 10 ft. away?

I don't know much about bat behavior, but I thought it mighta been sick since it was roosting right next to my front door and didn't move when I opened it.

Browns (little browns mostly, but also big browns) like to roost on the side of houses even when there appear to be "better" places to roost. I would welcome the newcomer........he's going to eat a lot of bugs
If it's tourist season, then why can't I shoot them?
PamSales
Infrequent Poster

Return to Everything Bats