A Bat Tale

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

A Bat Tale

Postby Grandpa Caver » Apr 25, 2007 7:42 pm

I was just listening to Hazel Bartons post about the NPR interview and was reminded of an unforgettable experience in Sullivan Cave.

Myself and one other had gotten a little ahead of our group when exiting the cave and stopped for a short break in the "Waterfall Room" just a little shy of the entrance. Sullivan is a fairly large cave and this small room is a bit of a rest stop after a long duck walk and a low, narrow canyon. It was an early summer evening & we found ourselves absolutely enveloped in bats exiting the cave. At one point I raised my arms to shoulder height and they would briefly lite on my underarms, 3-5 at a time, seemingly to just check me out, then fly on about they're way. My buddy (cringing on the floor) was experiencing his second cave trip.

On another occasion, in a tight hands & knees crawl, I felt a "thump on my helmet and looked up just in time to see a Little Brown standing on all fours in front of me. He raised his head, gave it a shake and looked at me like "what the blazes are you doing here" I'll never forget it. An almost cartoonish encounter.

BATS...Gotta Love Em
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Adam Craig » Apr 27, 2007 8:58 am

I had a bat bump my helmet in Biehle Cave once... That's the only time I've ever come in physical contact with a bat in a cave. I did see an injured or dying bat in the back breaker in Sullivans. It was screaching and trying to crawl... Very sad. :sad:
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide - R. Waters
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 48556
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shallow Grotto

Postby graveleye » Apr 27, 2007 12:04 pm

we saw a rat dragging an almost dead bat into its nest in a cave a few months ago. It was sad, but I guess that's what happens when they die.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Grandpa Caver » Apr 27, 2007 6:22 pm

Many moons ago, on a trip to Gary Pit, we discovered a semi-concious chipmonk at the bottom. It appeared to be stunned but otherwise uninjured. Everyone began planning a rescue but I argued that a cave & its inhabitants constitutes a living entity. The unfortunate chipmonks legacy should be to nurture other critters that likely depended on such chance encounters and it would begin a cycle would ripple throughout the cave.

Natures ways are sometimes disturbing but that's just the way it is. I believe it best not to interfere.

And the poor chipmonk? Against my feeble protest, it was rescued from the pit and left to meet its fate in a comfortable spot on the surface.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Return to Everything Bats