I Thought I Had Seen Everything....

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dane » Apr 7, 2007 2:18 am

FYI touching on this subject -
Steven Whited will be giving a presentation on Meth Labs, including associated health issues, possible effects on caves and their environs, etc at the Chattanooga Grotto meeting Monday night, 4/9/07, 7:00pm on the 3rd Floor Pavilion at Ruby Falls.
Directions are available at the Chattanooga Grotto website -

http://www.chattanoogagrotto.org
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Whitey » Apr 12, 2007 7:31 pm

We discussed a little about reporting possible meth activity at the grotto meeting, but as mentioned in a previous post a "meth-head" can be dangerous due to paranoia. I would try and avoid a confrontation with a suspected meth-head because their personalities are volatile and they experience chemical imbalances while tweaking. I would report the activity to any type of Law Enforcement agency and if the persons identity can be verified, I would seek charges. With the amazing advancement with cell phones it is easy to video and snap pic's of people without them ever knowing it. Snap a pic of the person and if vehicles are around get the license plate registration number and if you can get a quick visual glance of what is in the vehicle. Report clothing descriptions, height, body features and if weapons are noticed in a vehicle (shotguns or rifles in a rack). This is important for responding Law Enforcement agents safety and for them to know what and who they are looking for the, more info the better. What ever you do always stay safe and be a good witness. I will just stress the importance of your health and personal safety if you enter or remain in an area that you think may be a meth lab. Law Enforcement responding to the smallest of labs take and are overly precautions and enter in the HAZ-MAT gear. Please, be careful and us good judgment. FYI, meth-heads will also booby trap area's to keep them from getting busted. A bust or interference cost them alot of money and that gets them pissed. Reporting activity or crimes in progress dial 911, dispatchers can get the agencies you need.

Thanks,
Steven Whited
Whitey
Infrequent Poster

Postby Teresa » Apr 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Deleted as it was off-topic for bats.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Bait » Sep 6, 2007 11:49 am

So what where the primary effects on the bats? :hairpull:
"When the student is ready the master will appear." (Dorel)
Squirrel Bait
Occasional Poster

What happened to the bats?

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Sep 7, 2007 10:51 am

Much to my surprise, they woke up (after 15-30 minutes) and flew off.

Of course, since this disturbed their hibernation, there is always the chance they later starved to death.

We were there on a fairly warm day, but I suspect it was earlier in the year then the end of hibernation.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Previous

Return to Everything Bats