Myotis sodalis

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Teresa » Dec 6, 2006 8:32 am

According to my biology source, the definitive feature is having a keeled calcar on the inner femoral membrane.

Ok, in English, that means they have a ridge on that skin flap which extends from the bat to the tail and between the feet.

Problem is, there isn't any reasonable way to make an Indiana 'spread 'em' without handling the bat. Which the FWS highly frowns upon doing without a permit. Hence the repeated advice for people to get a bat expert to look at suspected endangered species. Besides, they know what they are looking for. (I'm just repeating what I've heard--I wouldn't know a keeled calcar from a muscle car unless someone showed me.)
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Komebeaux » Dec 6, 2006 2:01 pm

tropicalbats wrote:
Komebeaux wrote:There are two ways to ID a Sodalis.

1. Their lips are very pink. They are very noticable. When they are roosting in groups, their lips stand out as rows of "pink stripes".

2. Hairy feet. I don't recommend you get close enough to inspect their feet because that might qualify as harassment, but an Indiana bat has very long hairs growing on their feet. Not thick fur, but just several long hairs sticking out on thier feet.

One of the morphological characteristics that is used to idenify Indiana bats is the lack of long toe hairs. The hairs are quite short and generally do not extend beyond the toe.

Keith

That's odd, because I was always told the opposite.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby Komebeaux » Dec 6, 2006 2:25 pm

You know what, tropicalbats? You were right. I was thinking of a lucifigus regarding the long toe hairs.

The long toe hairs is how you distinguish a lucifigus from a sodalis.

My bad.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Previous

Return to Everything Bats