Here we go again

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Here we go again

Postby tncaver » Mar 6, 2013 1:28 pm

tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Here we go again

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 6, 2013 2:55 pm

There are several issues here that make this an oddball story:

First, any bat, Indiana or otherwise, out on the landscape now raises a red flag about possible WNS. That wasn't even mentioned.

Second, there are no babies this time of year, so that was just wrong.

Third, the USFWS spokesman - besides not mentioned either of the above, at least not that we heard, - seems to no know about the new USFWS Indiana bat survey protocols that require acoustical monitoring, not mist netting. These are very controversial, by the way, as acoustical monitoring has issues positively identifying certain species - the Indiana bat being one of them. The various bat call detectors have a terrible time distinguishing between Little Browns and Indianas.

The timing - potentially costing an entire construction season - is awful.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby Extremeophile » Mar 6, 2013 3:23 pm

Yes, here we go again. My opinion is that someone posting a story like this with a cynical title is not really concerned about traffic congestion in Iowa. Rather, they don't have much regard for the Endangered Species Act and immediately take a stand against it regardless of the facts. Also, my opinion is that this amounts to hypocrisy coming from someone so critical of governmental knee-jerk reactions.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby BrianC » Mar 6, 2013 4:20 pm

That looks exactly like the bat that got a ride from Tennessee just a few months ago, yes I believe it is the exact same bat, you cannot mistake the facial and bodily features. Yes it made a short journey of it only making its way to Iowa. I must have a conversation with its friends when they come by! What kind of trouble is it causing in that state now? I hope it makes its way back and doesn't get caught out of bounds again. Oh My! Oh MY! Oh My. Dear little thing is having so much fun. :shhh:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Everything Bats