Bats in WNS areas are breeding

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bats in WNS areas are breeding

Postby John Lovaas » Jan 3, 2012 8:15 am

Tito the Turtle wrote:Yes I read that, but my question stands.

Ah! I found the article that referred to the winter 'hot boxes'- sorry.

While I am not a bat biologist, there's no reason to think that bats will use these 'hot boxes' unless they are imprisoned in them- after all, bats seek specific temperature/humidity conditiLons for specific needs. In order to stifle Gd growth, you'd need to have temps, at minimum, in the hi 50s/lo 60s- Gd growth stops at 70f, I recall.

I'd be curious about any prior research that shows that these bats will hibernate at these higher temps.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 3, 2012 10:04 am

Just for clarification, the summer hot boxes Tom Kunz has been working on are for WNS-depleted spring/summer maternity colonies. Formerly consisting of hundreds of bats that generated a lot of heat - which is very desirable for newborn pups - the Northeast's Little Brown maternity colonies are much, much smaller. With these roost modules (or "bat boxes", as Mollie Matteson referred to them), the design helps smaller colonies maintain heat. This is considered a recovery strategy by the bat biologists.

In contrast the winter hot boxes that were the subject of the Craig Willis/Justin Boyles research a few years ago. They were testing a hypothesis based on bat energetics (energy conservation) and the observation that during arousal periods of winter hibernation bats sought warm refuges in caves. If these bats could use warmed areas to conserve energy, it might increase their likelihood of surviving the entire winter. This paper was published, and I've seen a couple of presentations of the research, but I think it's fair to say that even the researchers themselves do not see this as any panacea for WNS. At best, it might help some marginal colonies survive.

Hope that helps.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby John Lovaas » Jan 3, 2012 11:40 am

Peter- do you know anything about the sun orientation/temperature range of the summer roost modules? Looking at the (one) picture, I'm guessing they'd be cooler than traditional bat boxes? And, knowing nothing about little brown bats- where can their maternity colonies normally occur?

My mom would have roost modules covering her house and sheds by the spring, if she could see some plans. Of course, her place is in Wisconsin- which would mean she would be harboring a breeding population of a Threatened species. I suppose if she were successful enough, Dave Redell would condemn her place... ;-)
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jan 3, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi, John,

The Kunz research has been in a small building. The roost modules are installed up in the rafters - where the heat rises and is contained. Little Browns often use buildings (attics), which is why many homeowners have issues with them and are discouraged from trying to rid their homes of them during the maternity season. Traditional bat boxes are also often used, if mounted and oriented properly. See BCI or other knowledgeable sites for info in how and where to properly mount a bat box. Just got one myself for Christmas, and will be putting it on a pole out away from our house once spring comes and the ground thaws.

P.S. I'll try to get some plans from Tom Kunz's lab. Tom, by the way, continues to make very slow progress in the rehab hospital. This will be a long process.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 3, 2012 6:17 pm

sounds like they are just trying to engineer insulated tight crevices. Quite frankly it seems there are plenty of "warm" spring and summer roosts naturally....especially with fewer bats looking for them. True, they probably will find different sites than before to fit smaller colonies. I think it would be better to let these animals disperse to smaller more isolated roosts...which may be what saves them....rather than creating an attractor to put all the eggs in 1 basket.

I also wonder at the 68 degree statement. While we certainly have evidence the fungus doesnt thrive at warm temps, if it couldn't survive and possibly be spread passively at warm temps (spores) then I doubt we would have the problem we do.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Everything Bats