Long-time bat researcher, Tom Kunz, seriously injured

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Long-time bat researcher, Tom Kunz, seriously injured

Postby PYoungbaer » Nov 2, 2011 4:48 pm

My apologies for the delay in posting this news.

Tom Kunz, one of the world's leading bat researchers for more than four decades, and a prime investigator into White Nose Syndrome, was hit by a car on the way to the opening reception for last week's North American Symposium on Bat Research (NASBR). The accident occurred right outside the entrance to the Royal Ontario Museum. Needless to say, the news rippled through the crowd and cast a pall over the entire event.

His students - a large cadre of whom were there for presentations - were particularly distressed, sometimes having to leave the meetings, they were so pre-occupied. Who's
going to run the Center? The lab? etc.

Family flew in the next day and stayed with him in the ICU. Long-time colleague, Winnifred Fricke gave us daily progress reports. We all signed cards to deliver to the hospital.

He was flown back to Boston over the weekend. News now is coming through the CaringBridge website (see below).

This is truly awful, and you can see from all the outpouring of love and support, this man as had a major impact in the field of bat studies and on many people's lives. I've
gotten to know him and work with him over the past few years. He's a really nice guy, a former NSS member and friend of cavers, and definitely a giant in his field.

Below is the link to connect to Tom Kunz’s CaringBridge website:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tomkunz

This site contains updates on Tom’s condition and provides a place to share your thoughts and wishes with his family. The following is a statement by the Kunz family:

We very much appreciate the sincere concerns from all of Tom's friends and colleagues. As you may know Tom was hit by a car on Wednesday night and suffered critical brain injuries and other injuries. After the accident he was attended at St. Michael's Hospital inToronto and his condition has stabilized. He was transferred to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston on Saturday. He is showing slow signs of improvement and we are very encouraged. Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers.

Margaret, Pamela and David Kunz
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: Long-time bat researcher, Tom Kunz, seriously injured

Postby Batgirl » Nov 2, 2011 8:35 pm

That is awful news! My sincerest heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. I think Tom has written more books on bat biology than anyone in his field. I certainly hope that he makes a full recovery. The bats need him now more than ever. :sad:
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Evan G » Nov 3, 2011 2:15 pm

That's horrible! I hope he pulls thru, many warm and healing thoughts!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby BrianC » Nov 3, 2011 2:19 pm

Prayers for his full recovery are in order.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Nov 8, 2011 8:10 am

Boston University published a nice piece on Tom, his accident and his work:

http://www.bu.edu/today/2011/cas-professor-seriously-injured-by-car/
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Nov 8, 2011 6:02 pm

What an extremely unfortunate event. I wish Tom the best for a speedy and full recovery from his injuries.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Dec 1, 2011 10:57 am

An update on Tom: Tom's accident was five weeks ago. After three days in the Toronto hospital, he was moved back to Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital. This week he has moved to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Cambridge. Tom had brain surgery at B&W, and things went well. He began interacting some days ago, and is making progress each day according to the reports posted daily by his family on the CaringBridge website: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tomkunz

Today's post:
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:25 PM, EST
written by Margaret Kunz

It has been five weeks tonight since Tom's horrific accident. Today was a good "first" day at Spaulding Rehab. He saw the speech therapist, physical therapist and occupational therapist, plus Xrays and blood work. They didn't waste any time in establishing base lines and he was exhausted tonight. He could say "Tom, Pam and David" and wants to talk more but can't. The left arm moves some, but no grip. There was slight movement in the right leg. He is still fed with a feeding tube, but the speech therapist said he did have some movement in the swallowing muscles. Spaulding feels like the right place for us.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 1, 2011 11:01 am

Wow. Thanks for the update. Hope he continues to improve.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby tncaver » Dec 1, 2011 11:19 am

I hope Tom makes a complete recovery. Auto accidents are freaky things.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Everything Bats