don't think of bats as flying rodents — think of them as itt

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

don't think of bats as flying rodents — think of them as itt

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 3, 2011 5:14 pm

So don't think of bats as flying rodents — think of them as itty bitty flying horses.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/03/138953002 ... heir-bites

Let's say you're a vampire bat, and you are trying to decide where to bite your victim. You want a spot rich in blood, right? But how do you find such a spot?

Turns out, vampire bats have a kind of remote sensing ability that can tell them where there is a warm patch of skin on a nearby animal. And a warm patch of skin means there are blood vessels just below the skin surface. And now scientists have identified the molecular basis for this remote sensing ability.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: don't think of bats as flying rodents — think of them as

Postby nathanroser » Aug 12, 2011 8:41 pm

When you look at a bats' face up close almost none look like mice or rats like people think they are. Some look like dogs or bears, vampire bats look like little piglets, the big eared bats in the U.S. look like rabbits, and some just have distinctly bat faces.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: don't think of bats as flying rodents — think of them as

Postby Jon » Aug 13, 2011 12:29 am

Rodents have two upper and two lower teeth for gnawing. A closer look at a bat and you see lots of teeth. KInd of looks more like an ex-wife or maybe a mother in law when the child support payment is late. Having seen these critters up close is exactly the reason that I have remained single all my life. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Return to Everything Bats