question about caving with bats

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

question about caving with bats

Postby rickster » Apr 7, 2010 5:37 pm

Recently, while checking out the entrance to a cave, ( im new to caving) i rounded a cornerof crawlspace and was startled to see bats flying toward me.. I quickly back out of the entrance.This was my first experience with bats in their enviroment and while im not generally speaking " afraid of bats outside of a cave,.. I dont want them snagged up in my shirt. or flying into me as I was blocking their only way out.It really sent the adrenaline pumping .My question as a new caver is..Will they try to fly around you in such a tight passage or avoid you altogether?Have you had bats invading your space while negotiating a tight squeeze.?( even though I knwow its their space that were invading..) Really need some help here guys..was kinda creepy. :yikes:
rickster
Frequent Poster

Name: Rick OBanion
NSS #: 62960
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Hill Grotto and Nittany Grotto Inc.

Re: question about caving with bats

Postby onebat » Apr 7, 2010 6:41 pm

Speaking from my own experience, I have found that they will try to fly around you. They will leave then come back, trying to get around you. However, I have had them land on me a time or two when I was blocking their way. Once one landed on my helmet, then took off. Another time one landed on my leg, then took of. Just my own experiences.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 7, 2010 7:13 pm

When I first started caving, I had a bat bump off my face in a crawlway. Since it's their home, they don't always use their sonar, just like I don't need to turn on the light to walk to the bathroom at night. But in general they prefer to not run into people!

It weirded me out, but then I became comfortable with bats, and of course, it never happened again!

Don't worry, be happy.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby wendy » Apr 8, 2010 6:21 am

I was always told to stand still and they will go around you. They are not going to fly into you on purpose. If you boob and he weaves then you will probably hit each other.

Also I was told to talk in a low voice, but not a whisper when around bats.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 8, 2010 7:13 am

I guarantee if there is not enough room they will fly right into you.

Entering Sublett Bluff Cave in Alabama once we were using a small inflatable to to ferry ourselves thru one at a time. The passage continued about 3 ft wide and 5 ft high. I went into it in the boat on my knees effectively blocking 80% of the passage. We heard something from the back of the cave and just then the passage erupted with 100s of bats trying to get out. About 25-30 hit me and landed in the boat. Some of them landed in the water and swam to the side to pull themselves up.

To say I was surprised is an understatement. It was sort of like Hitchcock's The Birds movie.

My two caving buddies laid flat on the ground with their arms over their heads. One of them had a deathly fear of bats and it was difficult calming him down afterwards.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 8, 2010 10:05 am

ive had them land on me while surveying. In crawl ways they fly at me, turn around, come back, turn around, etc until they get around, even if tis in a wide passage they do that a lot Just do your thing, they will do theirs.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Everything Bats