Major forum upgrade coming Dec. 27

Please check this section for any important announcements regarding the NSS discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

Major forum upgrade coming Dec. 27

Postby Wayne Harrison » Dec 19, 2007 12:43 pm

As part of our security upgrade on the Caves.org site, we're moving to the latest version of this software, which has enhanced security.

The new version is also a radical change from the current version, as you'll see which we switch. The new software will also give you additional features that we don't have on this version, including attachments and quoting from multiple posts.

You'll be happy to know your current username and password will still be used on the new version, so you don't have to re-register or anything like that.

I'm still working on the look and feel of the new version and plan to make the switch on the evening of Dec. 27. The forum will not be available for a few hours that evening while the switch is being made (posts and info from this forum have to to imported to the new forum).

I'll also be resetting the most users ever and the World Visitor map so that we get new stats for 2008.
Last edited by Wayne Harrison on Dec 30, 2007 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed sticky
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Re: Major forum upgrade coming soon

Postby tallgirl » Dec 19, 2007 7:09 pm

is there a clean up of the memberlist planned at any point bc i bet we have a lot of member accounts that never get used and it would be nice to clear some of them out so that member searches are easier and stuff... like maybe just for ppl who havent logged on in over a year
Failed gene line :grin:
:bat:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Dec 19, 2007 9:44 pm

The new software is much faster, as are searches of both posts and members.

We have never deleted users who haven't logged in for more than a year. We are, however, able to track inactive users and send reminder e-mails to them from time to time.

I do clear anyone who has registered but not logged back in to activate their account.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ArCaver » Dec 20, 2007 8:47 pm

I noticed tonight when I clicked my browsers back button it reloaded the same page instead of navigating back to the previous. I checked the drop down history for the window and it appears Cavechat set a "specificclick.net" cookie. Some people consider this a form of spyware. Has this anything to do with the changes in the forum?
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Dec 20, 2007 10:51 pm

This should be in the IT forum section, but the cookie was part of Sitemeter which we used for awhile to track usage.

We don't use it any more because of the embeded tracking cookies and it shouldn't be anywhere on our site.

I would remove that cookie from your Internet files.

How to block Specificclick tracking cookies:

Open the “Tools” menu.
    Select “Internet Options”.
    Select the “Privacy” tab to open sub-menu.
    Click “Show cookies”.
    In the search box provided type in Specificclick to narrow down your results.
    Remove all cookies that remaining by selecting them and clicking “Remove Cookie”.
    Click “Close”
    Click “Exceptions”.
    Type specificclick.net under Address of website:
    Click “Block”
    Type adopt.specificclick.net under Address of website Update
    Click “Block”
    Close all remaining Dialog boxes.

To delete cookies in Internet Explorer 7, use the following steps:

Open your Web browser.
    From the Tools menu, click Delete Browsing History.
    Click the Delete Cookies button.
    Click OK.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Dec 23, 2007 12:35 pm

A reminder, with the coming forum upgrade, I'll be resetting our World Visitor map so we can get a better idea of where everyone is from as they visit...

Here's a world view of the current map (searchable by by region by clicking on the small map at the bottom of the main forum):

(It's getting a little crowded)
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Forum Upgrade Postponed

Postby Wayne Harrison » Dec 27, 2007 9:42 pm

The forum upgrade has been postponed until we can figure out what caused this afternoon and evening's database errors prior to the conversion.

Remember, if the forum is down, the chatroom is up, so you can always chat there..

http://forums.caves.org/chatroom.html
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Major forum upgrade coming Dec. 27

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Oct 1, 2008 9:23 am

SORRY to be off topic here but I couldn't find a HELP section to answer questions that I have about the forum.

In the private messages area I've noticed twice that messages I've supposedly sent are still in the Outbox days later leading me to think that they are not going out but just sitting there waiting to be sent.
I do click on the "send message" after I'm done with whatever it is I need to say and I make sure it is going to a particular recipient.
But the outbox still shows 1 (or 2) messages couple of days later... what's going on?
Help.
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Re: Ralph's question

Postby mgmills » Oct 1, 2008 10:54 am

Ralph E. Powers wrote:SORRY to be off topic here but I couldn't find a HELP section to answer questions that I have about the forum.

In the private messages area I've noticed twice that messages I've supposedly sent are still in the Outbox days later leading me to think that they are not going out but just sitting there waiting to be sent.
I do click on the "send message" after I'm done with whatever it is I need to say and I make sure it is going to a particular recipient.
But the outbox still shows 1 (or 2) messages couple of days later... what's going on?
Help.

Ralph - The messages stay in the outbox until the recipient opens them.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Ralph's question

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Oct 1, 2008 1:52 pm

mgmills wrote:
Ralph E. Powers wrote:SORRY to be off topic here but I couldn't find a HELP section to answer questions that I have about the forum.

Help.

Ralph - The messages stay in the outbox until the recipient opens them.

Ok, didn't know that... obviously... Thanks
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Return to Please Read