Want to contribute a random caving image?

Please check this section for any important announcements regarding the NSS discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

Want to contribute a random caving image?

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 24, 2005 1:09 pm

I'm trying to make the front page of the forum a little more interesting by adding a random image code to show a random image to the bottom left of the forum (where are the cavers online are listed).

I'm looking for more caving images, so if you have one (or several) with cavers in it that you'd like to contrbute and don't mind it being shrunk, email it to me at wayne@caves.org.

I'm using a size of 120 wide by 111 long and 4K or less. If you can't resize it, I can.
Last edited by Wayne Harrison on Nov 6, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Just Asking

Postby CaverScott » Oct 27, 2005 9:14 am

I think this is really cool. Many of the images I have seen; however, I would like to see larger. Any chance we could click on the image being displayed to get a bigger version on our screen? (Just an idea)
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 27, 2005 10:41 am

I had thought about that, too, but then the NSS would just be hosting a caving slide show, consisting of many images that many people already have on the Web in slide shows. I think that's something that should be considered or pushed by someone else. Perhaps we should just have a page here in the DB or elsewhere on the NSS Web site that has links to caving slideshows. The other problem with going to the larger images is you'd really need to have them in a slideshow where whoever took them could explain what people were looking at, I think.

The random image code is very lean and mean (to make it fast) and I only wanted to have something the same size as the animated flying bat that would represent "cavers" and draw people to the list of people online. I had a static image there but that got old really fast, so I looked for a way to change the image and make the index page a little fresher.

BTW, I have messaged Josh to suggest perhaps the home page of the NSS site use the same code to alternate larger images there -- instead of the same one all the time (particularly since the one currently up isn't a good representation of a normal cave, IMO). I've seen some very creative grotto Web sites using flash to display images and I'd like to see someone incorporate that onto the NSS front page -- but that's a personal idea. Something like that would up to the IT committee, wouldn't it?
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Return to Please Read