NEW!!! Facebook "Like" button on posts

Please check this section for any important announcements regarding the NSS discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: NEW!!! Facebook "Like" button on posts

Postby LukeM » Dec 30, 2011 10:35 am

tncaver wrote:
LukeM wrote:Mud, I was going to respond to you but I'm not sure what you're phone number is or where you live. :grin:

He's in the NSS member manual. :big grin:

Is MUD the first or last name, or are those his initials?
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby caverdan » Dec 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Cavemud wrote:Facebook is a social cop-out. If I really need to know what one of my friends is doing I will go to their house and ask or call them on the phone. It easily corrals all the sheeplike peoples too. :big grin:

As you can see I'm NOT a fan of Facebook so I guess I'll have to abstain from further posts. I spend too much time on here anyway! :cavingrocks:

:exactly: :agree: :agree: :agree: :cavingrocks:

Later Gators :waving:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby tncaver » Dec 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Well obviously his first name is Cave and Mud is his last name. :laughing:

You can always PM him if you really want to get in touch. :big grin: Oops, were are getting :off topic:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Dec 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Cavemud wrote:
As you can see I'm NOT a fan of Facebook so I guess I'll have to abstain from further posts. I spend too much time on here anyway! :cavingrocks:

Just to point out one thing, do you know who looks at your posts here daily and how many people visit Cavechat. Just a few statistics, Cavechat appears in more than 350,000 Google searches every month. It averages out to about 10,000 - 15,000 per day. Out of those searches (that anyone can see) a few thousand actually click the link and either read the post and leave or join. About 300 people per day read further into Cavechat after clicking on it in the search results. Those numbers do not include direct traffic or traffic driven from other websites (which currently there are more than 18,000 external links to Cavechat).

Sometimes it is hard to imagine the kind of traffic this website gets and could get until you look at the numbers. Facebook posts would just be a tiny portion of Cavechat viewers, I only hope it will bring in new members. Honestly how many of you have Facebook friends who are not members here on Cavechat. Lots of experienced cavers do not use Cavechat and some do not even know it exists.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby tncaver » Dec 30, 2011 8:53 pm

David Grimes posted: "Facebook posts would just be a tiny portion of Cavechat viewers, I only hope it will bring in new members".
I hope he is right about the tiny portion of cavechat viewers. 800 million potential new members from Facebook might actually pose
a problem or two.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Dec 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Realistically what information is posted here that needs to be kept a secret anyway. This is a public forum where most topics can be read without even being a member. I think we may be going a little overboard with the caver secrecy by thinking we need to hide Cavechat from public view.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby Grandpa Caver » Dec 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Has anyone tried "Liking" something yet? All the posts I'm seeing come with a "be the first" option. I'm undecided about whether it's good or bad but I am curious.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby David Grimes » Dec 30, 2011 10:43 pm

It will always say be the first of your friends unless one of your facebook friends has already clicked the like button on that topic. If someone who is not your facebook friend clicks it all you will see is "one person likes this, be the first of your friends" or something along those lines. I will like this post just to give you an example.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby agosnell » Dec 31, 2011 9:28 am

If it was me I would learn what it does before I tear it down.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Name: Alvin Gosnell
NSS #: 48081
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 31, 2011 9:46 am

Grandpa Caver wrote:Has anyone tried "Liking" something yet? All the posts I'm seeing come with a "be the first" option. I'm undecided about whether it's good or bad but I am curious.

I tried it. It worked. But I would guess that *most* posts (such as this one), don't merit "like"ing. But once in a while, someone posts something great that I can imagine I might like to "like" to Facebook. Not super often, but why not have the option, like so many others do?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 31, 2011 9:49 am

agosnell wrote:If it was me I would learn what it does before I tear it down.

You mean like ripping on facebook when you dont use it. Never have used t. And never Plan on using it???
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Dec 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Chads93GT wrote:
agosnell wrote:If it was me I would learn what it does before I tear it down.

You mean like ripping on facebook when you dont use it. Never have used t. And never Plan on using it???

Facebook sucks. :waving: I know what it does and it don't do it for me. I'm not a sheep and don't need to do what everyone else is doing. I'm a leader not a follower. :wink:

LukeM wrote:Mud, I was going to respond to you but I'm not sure what your phone number is or where you live. :grin:

:big grin: That's because you're not one of my "friends"! :lmao:

Like that! :kiss:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby agosnell » Jan 2, 2012 9:53 am

When I hit the like button on this subject, it posted to my facebook account of 224 friends and family.

What appears below the line "Alvin Gosnell likes a link." is a link that leads to the to the head of this thread. Of which ONLY my friends and family can click on and see from my facebook account. But I have my privacy settings set high.

This is what the results are.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- -
Alvin Gosnell likes a link.

[url]NEW!!! Facebook "Like" button on posts by David Grimes » Dec 29, 2011 8:20 pm If you no[/url]

Like · · Share · Saturday at 9:24am

- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - - - --

No one on my facebook commented on the link, nor did they hit the like button.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Postby agosnell » Jan 2, 2012 9:57 am

As far as people seeing cavechat page or more visitors to this site, anyone on the planet can type this ("NEW!!! Facebook "Like" button on posts cavechat") into any search engine and find and read the entire thread without logging on to cavechat site.

Type any of these into your search engine...

Snail Shell Cave System, Tennessee
"Exploring Leads by Robot? "
"Tick repellent article "

ya those are top hits....to this site.
I can do without the link to facebook, I am just presenting what I determined occoured when I hit the like button.
But I really like the "like" part about it. It would be nice if the like was only "Liked" locally.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Postby David Grimes » Jan 2, 2012 2:04 pm

While it is primarily a way to attract new people to Cavechat (just like the Cavechat Facebook page) it also gives you a quick way to share a topic you find interesting. While everyone is different my Facebook friends post similar things to websites they are members of. While I may not click on every post or even most of them, I do occasionally see something that catches my attention and I will check it out. That is the real point of the like button, like others on this thread pointed out you don't have to use it.
David Grimes
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Please Read