NEW!!! Facebook "Like" button on posts

Please check this section for any important announcements regarding the NSS discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

NEW!!! Facebook "Like" button on posts

Postby David Grimes » Dec 29, 2011 8:20 pm

If you notice you will now see a Facebook "Like" button at the bottom of every post. By clicking the "Like" button it will display that you like that post and add a link to it on your Facebook profile.

This is a brand new addition so if you have any problems please let me know.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: NEW!!! Facebook "Like" button on posts

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 29, 2011 8:41 pm

This is very cool. But... I think I would like it better if it didn't show up on Facebook. More of just a simple "like" for this post that just stays on Cavechat and this post. My "friends" will get tired of all the "liking" I do here. But, it is nice to be able to easily link threads/posts to FB.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby David Grimes » Dec 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Yeah I agree it could get old quick for your subscribed friends if you do a lot of liking but all the links are also very good for Cavechat's search engine rankings.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby NZcaver » Dec 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Hmmm... mixed feelings about this one. Scott makes a valid point. I will try using it sparingly.

Does this mean we can now call ourselves "FaceCave?" :tonguecheek: :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby David Grimes » Dec 29, 2011 9:43 pm

I thought we could go with "CaveBook" but I guess either works. I am sure we can be grown up enough to not annoy our friends with our shiny new "Like" button. This feature has actually been around for about a year now but it required you to use a bbcode to add the like button. I added it a while back for anyone who wanted to use it but I think this way will get Cavechat more exposure.

Also, since the link will go to the same topic no matter where the post is there is really not a need for one person to like more than one post in a topic.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby MUD » Dec 30, 2011 12:51 am

Does this mean our posts are seen by all those Facebook geeks? :down: I surely hope not as I want nothing to do with that. My ego isn't so big I need to tell everyone what I'm doing. I'm not nosy enough to care what everyone else is doing! :big grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby David Grimes » Dec 30, 2011 1:00 am

I guess that would be one way to look at it :rofl: except it would only be seen by the subscribers of the people who choose to like the post. It really is less about telling everyone what is happening and more about driving new traffic to Cavechat. Like it or not Facebook is the big thing right now (at least until something new and comparable comes out) and it will bring Cavechat new members.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby MUD » Dec 30, 2011 1:13 am

David Grimes wrote:Like it or not Facebook is the big thing right now (at least until something new and comparable comes out) and it will bring Cavechat new members.

Yea on Facebook you can have 859 friends when in real life ya might have 3. :laughing: Some people are just sheep like and have to do what everyone else is doing. Not me...I'm starting MUDbook! :bananaguitar:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 30, 2011 6:51 am

Cavemud wrote:
David Grimes wrote:Like it or not Facebook is the big thing right now (at least until something new and comparable comes out) and it will bring Cavechat new members.

Yea on Facebook you can have 859 friends when in real life ya might have 3. :laughing: Some people are just sheep like and have to do what everyone else is doing. Not me...I'm starting MUDbook! :bananaguitar:

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I have better friends (cavers) in NM and FL (cave divers) than I do locally (city people) [no offense Cheryl--you're super!]. Between them and family and so on, I *love* Facebook to keep in touch with them. On the other hand, I don't like having a passel of friends that see each and everything I post--I don't want to share my life with everyone who's wanted me to be friends. For example, there've been several CaveChat people that I've never met and am not real friends with that have asked to be my FB friend. It's been an ongoing, evolving situation that I'm not totally comfortable with.

Anyhoo, as David points out, where you like Facebook or not, it's a big deal and a LOT of people use it. If you don't or don't care to link them, don't press the LIKE button! :big grin: If you do, then click! It's fun, it's easy, and entirely at your disposal---just like so many other things on the internet. We're just joining the rest of the world.

(Thanks, David)
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby tncaver » Dec 30, 2011 9:33 am

I became a caver to get away from the rest of the world. :laughing: I prefer the peace, solitude and and amazing things that caving brings. Best of
all, there are no crowds in most of the caves I go to. Last I heard there are 800 million people on Facebook. Do you really want them all reading about our wonderful caves? :yikes:
Last edited by tncaver on Dec 30, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Dec 30, 2011 9:34 am

tncaver wrote:I became a caver to get away from the rest of the world. :laughing: I prefer the peace, solitude and and amazing things that caving brings. Best of
all, there are no crowds in most of the caves I go to. Last I heard there are 8 million people on Facebook. Do you really want them all reading about our wonderful caves? :yikes:

But that's not how Facebook works. If you have 8 friends, 8 people see your "like". You can even limit it further if you want.

Edit: Oh, I should also add that I don't see myself using this feature. Most of my friends aren't cavers and I wouldn't want to spam their news feed with CaveChat posts.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby tncaver » Dec 30, 2011 9:41 am

Eight friends pass a "like" to 8 other friends who pass it on to 8 more friends who pass it on to 8 more friends, and on and on. In theory it may go on
like that indefinitely. I like David Grimes and appreciate his efforts to make Cave Chat a better place, but I'm not so sure I "like" the "like button"
spreading to Facebook.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Dec 30, 2011 10:10 am

Facebook is a social cop-out. If I really need to know what one of my friends is doing I will go to their house and ask or call them on the phone. It easily corrals all the sheeplike peoples too. :big grin:

As you can see I'm NOT a fan of Facebook so I guess I'll have to abstain from further posts. I spend too much time on here anyway!

:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Dec 30, 2011 10:19 am

Mud, I was going to respond to you but I'm not sure what your phone number is or where you live. :grin:
Last edited by LukeM on Dec 30, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby tncaver » Dec 30, 2011 10:29 am

LukeM wrote:Mud, I was going to respond to you but I'm not sure what you're phone number is or where you live. :grin:

He's in the NSS member manual. :big grin:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Please Read