Hi From UK :)

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hi From UK :)

Postby inghamb87 » Mar 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Greetings all!

My name is Chris and I am from UK. Been trying to get into caving (haven't yet) so definitely want to learn more and be around people who know about it.. and that's the reason why I am here :). Although the thread is for cavers to introduce themselves, thought I would jump in and introduce although I am not officially caver yet.

Just wanted to quick say hi and introduce myself to the community.

Cheers
inghamb87

Re: Hi From UK :)

Postby graveleye » Mar 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. It's always cool to hear from our caving friends from across the pond!
You say you're from the UK... are you still there presently?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby John Lovaas » Mar 16, 2010 11:45 pm

Been trying to get into caving (haven't yet) so definitely want to learn more and be around people who know about it...

Boy, ingham87- you sure are going to be busy! In the last week, you've joined a boatload of forums.

You have "...Been trying to get into diving (haven't yet) so definitely want to learn more and be around people who know about it..." on at least 4 different diving forums.

You are "glad to be a part of RCUniverse. I have yet to try the gas ones but hoping to do so soon and build custom stuff." Radio controlled airplanes, too!

On talkangling.co.uk, you say "...I will admit that I don't regularly fish but I hope to change that pretty soon...."

And apparently you are a Parkour enthousiast as well! "...My name is Chris and I have been looking for places to hang out with people dedicated to parkour and well, here I am :)" Parkour! I'm rolling around on the floor right now- does that count?

Fishing on Lake Ontario? Apparently so! "...as you can see I don't have a boat or a "home port" yet, however, I am planning to change that soon. I am a newbie and would love to learn more by being in good company here on this forum...."

The visual arts? Hell, yes! "...Looking forward to meet the community and be an integral part of it as I go...."

And always that website of yours.

Considering that you are the founder of the website that is always found at the bottom of your posts, I'm just curious if you are really interested in caving, or just pimping us with some "viral marketing"? If I can quote from your media kit-

"(EG's) writers are second to none. We consistently achieve viral results on a weekly basis- our articles appear on the front pages of the most trafficked sites on the net. Whether you require one article per week, or ten a day, (EG) leverages the power of its editorial team to create custom, high-quality content that creates conversation around your brand."

Is EG "...an eclectic mix of the most bizarre, funny and interesting environmental news on the planet..." or just more advertising camouflaged as editorial content?

As someone(not you, I'm sure) with the user name "inghamb87" wrote recently on another forum, "...The internet is full of scammers and fraudsters."

Yes, it is.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JR-Orion » Mar 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Uh, well, that's an interesting development...

:shrug:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Dwight Livingston » Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm

John

Thanks for doing all the legwork. It's a good service to the forum.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby pub » Mar 17, 2010 4:55 pm

This is new concept to me... he does a better job than the other blatant viral guys caught by the mods.

wikipedia wrote:The buzzwords viral marketing and viral advertising refer to marketing techniques that use pre-existing social networks to produce increases in brand awareness or to achieve other marketing objectives (such as product sales) through self-replicating viral processes, analogous to the spread of pathological and computer viruses. It can be word-of-mouth delivered or enhanced by the network effects of the Internet.[1] Viral promotions may take the form of video clips, interactive Flash games, advergames, ebooks, brandable software, images, or even text messages.

The goal of marketers interested in creating successful viral marketing programs is to identify individuals with high Social Networking Potential (SNP) and create Viral Messages that appeal to this segment of the population and have a high probability of being taken by another competitor.

The term "viral marketing" has also been used pejoratively to refer to stealth marketing campaigns—the unscrupulous use of astroturfing on-line combined with undermarket advertising in shopping centers to create the impression of spontaneous word of mouth enthusiasm.

Source: Viral marketing
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Mar 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Nice detective work, John. :clap:

I've been away from the internet for a while, otherwise I might have picked up on this new guy and his website tagline sooner. In recent months we've also had a bunch of newbies post intros etc which don't sound "right" but don't actually break the rules. After a day or two, they go back and edit their post or their profile to add spam links. Cunning buggers.

Based on the evidence, I'll go ahead and smite our friend Chris. But this topic amuses me, so I'm not going to delete it completely. At least for now.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby graveleye » Mar 21, 2010 1:17 pm

call me gullible I guess. I never would have thought to do any sort of investigation on the guy.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Return to Caver Introductions