Why I Cave?

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Why I Cave?

Postby Will Harkins » Dec 2, 2009 9:13 pm

Well actually I don't cave, I'm a hiker who has a darn good eye for spotting caves. I here to help you guys more than anything else. One day I'd like to take up caving, but for now, I'm still busy exploring the terrestrial world. I live in Huntsville, AL which I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I spend most of my time hiking Monte Sano Mt. and other near by locations. I plan on posting all of the caves i find here. So if you ever see my name on a topic, then I'm more than likely posting a cave.
Will Harkins
New Poster

Re: Why I Cave?

Postby wendy » Dec 3, 2009 12:39 am

Welcome to our group. Just to make sure you know, posting cave locations is against our rules here on cavechat. YOu may want to get in touch with the grotto in Huntsville and tell them about your finds privately.

I hope your above ground travels one day gets you underground with us.

Wendy
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: Why I Cave?

Postby Marduke » Dec 5, 2009 12:53 pm

What you want to do is called "Ridgewalking". Monte Sano is pretty well ridgewalked out, and there are MANY known pits (and a few small caves) up there. But please keep in mind, posting cave locations publicly is NOT allowed. You may or may not know, but the home office for the National Speleological Society is actually located in Huntsville. If you think you have found something new, they will be able to help you find out if there is a record of it.

I recommend getting in contact with the Huntsville Grotto, and you can find areas which are not well explored and can use more ridgewalking. We meet at the Huntsville public library at 7pm on the first Wednesday of each month.

http://www.caves.org/grotto/huntsville/

I hope to see you there at the next meeting in January. Who knows, maybe we can talk you into getting underground with us. :banana:
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions