Young caver form NM reporting in

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Young caver form NM reporting in

Postby Tenzin Beck » Oct 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Tenzin Beck, and I've recently gotten into caving. Since as long as I can remember, my family has been involved in the outdoors- there are pictures of me camping when I was maybe 3, and of a little 6 year old on a rock climbing trip. My first experiences with caves came from tourist trips around our national parks- first at Carlsbad Caverns in my home state, and later to Jewel cave, Wind Cave, and others. I also did some minor spelunking where possible. The US National Parks system really is an incredible thing-- allow me to say that, as a mostly average citizen, I would never have been able to see the wonders of caves at all. Needless to say, I decided that caves really were one of my favorite environs. However, I had no idea how to turn my casual interest into something more meaningful.

Now I'm 17. Several months ago, I was having a conversation with my friend David, from Atlanta. Offhand, he mentioned that he caved. I was instantly intrigued, and it wasn't long before he pointed me towards the NSS. Soon after, I was nervously sitting in my very first grotto meeting. As it turns out, they were one of the nicest groups of people I've had the pleasure to meet.

My first real caving trip with some NSS members was to Targoc Cave, here in New Mexico. I went equipped with my dad's climbing helmet, a beat up old day pack, and a 15 year old Petzl headlamp I'd found in a bin in the garage. After about 5 hours underground I went through some tight squeezes, battery swaps, clothing damage, and had partially refilled a Gatorade bottle. I'd also seen formations more beautiful than I thought possible, and experienced an inner and outer peace that was nothing short of profound.

Now I'm rapidly making a gear list, and planning to get underground again as soon as I can. In short, :cavingrocks:
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Re: Young caver form NM reporting in

Postby graveleye » Oct 30, 2009 8:04 am

Nice post Tenzin and I can totally relate. Only 3 1/2 years ago I was also sitting nervously in my first grotto meeting too but I vowed to return and now they're my best friends. I've only missed one meeting in the entire time I've been there.

Sounds like you're doing it right! Welcome to the forum!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: Young caver form NM reporting in

Postby Herman Miller » Oct 31, 2009 8:01 am

While I miss 95% of grotto meetings I can piggyback on graveleyes post and say that caving isn't something that comes casually and we definately have our special people
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Return to Caver Introductions