Hi from New Mexico

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hi from New Mexico

Postby grit » Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am

Just finished my first real cave experience in the Fort Stanton Cave outside my hometown of Ruidoso, NM. As a member of the White Mountain Search and Rescue team, I was learning the basics of cave rescue in the event of a local callout. Looking forward to posting, chatting, learning and more caving.
grit
Infrequent Poster

Re: Hi from New Mexico

Postby Herman Miller » Oct 15, 2009 8:00 am

Hello and welcome,

Your quite fortunate to live near so many large and pristine caves and doubly fortunate to live so close to the many grottoes in NM.
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Hi from New Mexico

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 23, 2009 11:30 am

As Herman wrote, Welcome to caving; to CaveChat; and to SAR. You sure got into one of the best around your area. That was truly a surprise! :yikes: How'd you like that gate in the back...or didn't you go that far? Anyway, enjoy and learn from this panal and thanks for being in SAR.

Another SAR member,
Ernie in Oregon
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Hi from New Mexico

Postby grit » Oct 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Our mock rescue into Ft. Stanton Cave was not very far into the passage. However, on October 31 (The cave closes Nov. 1 until April 15 to avoid disturbing the bats in hibernation :shhh: ), we'll be hauling in 40-pound steel framing to replace some rotting wood structures. This will be near the entry to the Snowy River Passage (which I won't get to see not being an official researcher). Maybe someday....... :grin:
grit
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions