S.W. Missouri area cavers

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: S.W. Missouri area cavers

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 24, 2009 12:01 pm

You never know till you go. Just don't go it alone! good luck.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Aug 25, 2009 9:53 am

If you get a copy of Missouri the Cave State by Dwight Weaver (1980) you will find a table in the back with caves by county ranked in terms of length by that A B C system. Now, I wasn't caving back then, so I don't know how official a system that was. It strikes me as a way to classify caves on one of the MSS cave report forms, before the list was being kept on computers.

The Missouri Dept of Conservation is a johnny-come-lately to the cave business in Missouri. Their only legal responsibility is insofar as the cave is habitat for creatures-- with money being available only for endangered or federally threatened species. They own some significant caves, but only a couple hundred of the 6300 in the state, and for the rest of them, have to have landowner permission to enter. The MSS probably has an agreement with them, but the MSS' primary affiliation is with the Dept. of Natural Resources, Division of Geology and Land Survey, which is responsible for rocks, groundwater and land survey.

I'm not any closer to you than Chad -- I'm in Franklin County near St. Louis. But you've got more caves down McDonald County way than you might think.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby basjr » Aug 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Thank you, the copy of the book that we have is old worn and in many pieces.
I might be a "cave" man, but i am no neanderthal!
Basjr
basjr
Occasional Poster

Name: Brett Allen Smith Jr.

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 25, 2009 8:53 pm

One other thing, surely there is a grotto down in the springfield area you can join who goes caving a lot. I would hope so anyway.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caver Introductions