Newbie from IN, soon to be CA~

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie from IN, soon to be CA~

Postby Lilith » May 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Hello there!
I'm not one for writing about myself, but here goes
Currently I'm in a bit of a transitional stage in my life. I was studying at Purdue University (Indiana) for Computer Graphics, however due to financial issues over this summer I'll be moving back to California for a year or two. For the next few weeks I'll be hanging around the Midwest at my parents' house, and I decided to turn to my forgotten love: caving.
I first got into caves around 98 or so, when my family took a trip to a local tourist trap and we went on a guided tour. Since then, I've ditched the paved roads and switched instead to the mud. Unfortunately, my only experience consist of different "wild" cave tours that have all been guided. Now I've done a fair amount of these, I'm ready to take the next step, and go with a team instead of a guide. I need adventure in my life, I need to discover.

So with that, I've joined this forum in hopes of finding friends and mentors, and just having a good time.
Lilith
Infrequent Poster

Name: Anna Brost

Re: Newbie from IN, soon to be CA~

Postby NZcaver » May 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. :waving:

What part of California will you be moving back to? We have a few California cavers on the forum, so you should get some good advice. My only experiences with CA caves have been the lava tubes in the north of the state. Good luck!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby hoosiercaver1 » May 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Too bad you are moving away, or Id be glad to cave here in Indiana with you. Good luck with finding some good caves and cavers where you are goin. If you are ever back in the area, hit me up and maybe we can set up a trip.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Lilith » May 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks! :]
I'm moving back to Lompoc, a small town at the "bend" of CA. I'm glad to know that there is still a nice community where I'm heading! I just wish I would have taken advantage of my location while I was at school, haha.

Edit:
Ooh, this is what I get for leaving the reply window up for too long!
I'll still be here till around mid June if there is anything exciting going on, but I can guarantee I'll be back every year to visit my family. I'll be sure to give you a heads up!
Lilith
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » May 22, 2009 9:40 pm

CA if full of some reason nice cavers and caves. I go out there once a year for an event of the Western Region of the NSS. If you go tot caves.org you should be able to find a caving grotto (club) close to the area you will be moving too. They have several out there and I think they have some events happening in the fall.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Lilith » May 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Yeah, I checked out a few and unfortunately the closer ones are still a bit of a drive away, and I'm going to have to convince my boyfriend to let me take his car. Either that or make him come with me... xD
It seems like most of the grottoes are concentrated around the LA or San Francisco areas, where I'm stuck somewhere in between. I'm sure I'll be able to find a way to make things work though.
Lilith
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions