a new guy from tag

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

a new guy from tag

Postby slapout » Oct 18, 2008 5:20 pm

hello everyone i am new to this site but not to caves my mom and dad are in the nss and have benn for a long time mom is a geologist but it has only been in the past few years that i have taken a intrest into their work when i saw some rednecks "reds" trashing a cave and i knew something needed be done to help preserve them for the generations to come even tho i have donated money to the nss i was never a member but i will be by monday and awaiting a responce from the chatt. groto i now relize there is alot more to caveing other than the beauty that God has given us under our feet thanks :bat sticker:
slapout
Frequent Poster

Name: stephen driver

Re: a new guy from tag

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 18, 2008 9:49 pm

:kewl: :bananabat:

Welcome! And thanks for caring.

Chattanooga Grotto is pretty active with a lot of good folks. I bet you'll enjoy caving and hanging out with them.

:cavingrocks:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby cavemanjonny » Nov 4, 2008 1:04 pm

slapout wrote:awaiting a responce from the chatt. groto i now relize there is alot more to caveing other than the beauty that God has given us under our feet thanks :bat sticker:

Howdy slapout,

Have you heard back from the grotto yet? If not, let me know and I can try and help things along. Also, I live just up the road from you, so if you want to go caving sometime, just give me a shout.

-Jonny
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 56510

Postby BrianC » Nov 5, 2008 9:47 am

Welcome slapout! :waving: Monday evening is Chattanooga grotto monthly meeting, hope to see you there!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby incavenow » Nov 5, 2008 2:58 pm

Welcome slapout to the forum. I'm glad to see another Georgia caver on here. I wonder what cave it was you saw being trashed? I try to get over to Pettijohns Cave when I can to do trash pickup there.
Glad to see ya. :waving:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby tncaver » Nov 5, 2008 7:23 pm

slapout wrote:hello everyone i am new to this site but not to caves my mom and dad are in the nss and have benn for a long time mom is a geologist but it has only been in the past few years that i have taken a intrest into their work when i saw some rednecks "reds" trashing a cave and i knew something needed be done to help preserve them for the generations to come even tho i have donated money to the nss i was never a member but i will be by monday and awaiting a responce from the chatt. groto i now relize there is alot more to caveing other than the beauty that God has given us under our feet thanks :bat sticker:

Hey slapout...I am so glad you are interested in preserving caves and keeping senseless vandals from harming them.
However, I hope you will not fall into the fanatic cave gating philosophy that seems to be permeating some cavers. I, like
you, love caves and all they have to offer, but I also love to visit those caves. There is a large group of us cavers who
seem to think it is best that no one goes anywhere in any cave, at any time. I can only ask, why did God put caves here if he/she didn't want us to visit them?
Sometimes caves do need gating, but there is more than one way to "skin a cat". Recently, vandals were caught and prosecuted using an infra red game camera. Signs displaying cave protection laws may also help to prevent needless vandalism. A gate should be the last resort, but sometimes they are a necessary evil.
Good caving.
John Hutchison NSS11906
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby slapout » Nov 6, 2008 7:55 pm

hello again and thank you all i have got with marty and hope to see all of you soon and as far as the trashed cave it was tallys and i am realy glad that i will have people to go with
slapout
Frequent Poster

Name: stephen driver

Return to Caver Introductions