Hello...

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello...

Postby sycoticmuskrat » Oct 4, 2008 9:11 pm

My name is Rick. I live in Central Pennsylvania..

Caving is something that I had been wanting to do for a long time. I met a guy at work who has been caving for close to 25 years. When we got the chance we would talk about it and we would end the conversations making plans to meet up and go. I finally got the chance to go last Sunday.
The cave that we went to was called "Fantasy Cave". When I first got in there I think I was a little afraid. My legs were shaking like crazy. I took a look around and wondered what I had gotten myself into.
I looked up and there was a single brown bat hanging about three feet above my head. I think in that moment my feelings changed. I still couldn't believe where I was but I wasn't afraid anymore. I stopped shaking and for the next 3 hours I had the time of my life. I was crawling through mud on my stomach, bending and twisting through holes that I honestly didn't think I would make it through but it was amazing.
When we finally got back to the surface I was asked what I thought and I honestly couldn't think of what to say other than AWESOME! This was my first time doing this but I found myself looking at people on the ride home thinking that most of these people have no idea what might be beneath their feet and the beauty that can be found there. I have told anyone that will listen to me about my experience and made them all look at the pictures that I took.
We have made plans to do it again in a few weeks and I cannot wait.
sycoticmuskrat
New Poster

Re: Hello...

Postby graveleye » Oct 6, 2008 7:55 am

welcome to the forum, Rick. Sounds like you had a great first experience.

The first time I went caving, I should have been scared as ill-prepared I was. It wasn't until I got older did I find myself nervous in a new cave. Once you get into the groove it all seems to just go away.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby MUD » Oct 8, 2008 10:57 am

I too am from central PA. Although I sadly live in s.e. oHIGHo. I'm really glad yer first experience was a good one. The cave you were in is NOT a beginner cave and I really can't believe yer trip leader took ya there. He should know better....but obviously don't. Did you guys have helmets on? How many of you were on the trip? I'd like to hear some more details if you'd like to share. :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby rickster » Mar 19, 2011 2:51 pm

AMEN! Went into fantasy yesterday with Mr MUd and Jake,,.. basicallyt on my 1 year anniversary of caving ...OMG what a cave,,,, Had me a moment or two...thought I was in the movie , Journey to the center of the earth for a few.. Down..Down.. Down.. Ceiling coming down.. Walls closing in.. The sound of Waterfalls ahead...Mud "SWORE"" He felt the very rock we were standing on at one point tremble... ( asshole anyways)...Showed us Holy Shit Pit.. as In .. "Stay Clear to the left"" Thats Holy shit Pit!" .. .. and " I know its a bit of a stretch But if you dont have to weight aptly named " Wobbly Rock" to get across the gap.. Dont.. I had agreat time.. Very Thrilling.. This cave is easily the MoST decorated Ive been in...and Def the most challenging. Dont know if your still around, But I think being in Fantasy for Your first cave would put you off from caving , Ever.. Unless you have a few screws loose...Thanks again Todd. Are you still caving in central pa?
rickster
Frequent Poster

Name: Rick OBanion
NSS #: 62960
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Hill Grotto and Nittany Grotto Inc.

Postby JR-Orion » Mar 21, 2011 10:59 am

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're hooked.
:grin:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions