Hello from Georgia

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from Georgia

Postby jgwade99 » Sep 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Hey Everybody!

I'm from Cordele, Georgia and I'm completely new to caving. So far, the cave in Marianna Florida is the only cave I've been to.

Hope to hear from everyone soon!

Greg
jgwade99
Infrequent Poster

Re: Hello from Georgia

Postby graveleye » Sep 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Did you go to the Florida Caverns there? Very pretty cave.
My family comes from Pelham and Cairo, so I've been driving through Cordele all my life... well, not technically since they made the bypass to down to Albany.

Welcome to the forum!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby jgwade99 » Sep 30, 2008 3:42 pm

Thank you very much. I've posted a subject over on the general discussion board. It's regarding a cave in Crisp County. Check it out if you don't mind and let me know if you have any info.

Thanks!
jgwade99
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Sep 30, 2008 9:34 pm

the flint river grotto is based out of tallahassee and goes a lot f caving in the marianna area. which cave did you go to? I responded to your other post. but i will tell ya here, get in touch with the middle ga grotto. Nice folks oh and welcome to cavechat
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby incavenow » Oct 1, 2008 10:53 am

:woohoo: Welcome to the forum. It's great to have another Georgia caver here. :banana_yay:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby JNT Exploration1 » Oct 2, 2008 7:00 am

Welcome to the world of caving...the land of tight spaces, cold and wet crawls and the joy of knowing your underground where most folks refuse to go before they die!
I hope your caving experience meets nothing but good cave and joy in expedition!
Jason-
JNT Exploration1
Frequent Poster

Name: Jason and Traca

Postby Mike Hood » Oct 2, 2008 10:31 am

Welcome! I spent a lot of time as a volunteer for Florida Caverns State Park in the late 1980's, leading their wild cave trips (Windy Crawl, Boyer's New Discovery, Hall's, Dragon's Tooth, Miller's, and a few others). I don't know if they still do that or not, but it was a great time! Lots of pretty caves in and around the park.

:cavingrocks:

Mike
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby graveleye » Oct 2, 2008 12:01 pm

I would like to know if they still do wild trips too. My wife and I were there a couple of years ago.. did the tour, then went out hiking. We "found" several caves... gated with rebar.

I recall as a kid seeing a man and his too boys emerging from a cave out along the rim trail. That was one of the things that made me want to get into caving.

I would LOVE to explore some of the caves on the property down there.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Mike Hood » Oct 3, 2008 9:11 am

I moved away from there in 1990. However, I have spoke with friends who are still in the area and they have told me the park no longer lets you wild cave on your own. However, they may still conduct wild cave tours. However, I don't know that for sure. Perhaps they have a park website that says one way or another. I helped do an inventory of all of the caves in the park. There are MANY. However, most are very small and typically just one room.

I sure had a lot of fun there.
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Oct 3, 2008 11:14 am

I don't believe they do the wild cave tours anymore. All the other caves on the property are by permit only and a couple of guys in my grotto have the permit to re-map some of the caves out there, I don't believe the caves are open to anyone else but them.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby graveleye » Oct 3, 2008 12:10 pm

That's a real shame.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Mike Hood » Oct 3, 2008 2:34 pm

graveleye wrote:That's a real shame.

It really is. There are some really pretty and fun caves there (Dragon's Tooth, China, Tea Pot, Miller's, Zig-Zag, Boyer's New Discovery, Hall's, Windy Crawl, just to name a few). There are also some really nice caves just outside of the park, too. Go canoeing on the Chipola River and you'll see many caves along it.

I wonder if the park still allows you to go through Tunnel Cave? It's just a straight tube, about 100 feet long from one entrance to the other. You don't even need lights. However, it is a cave and right on a primary hiking trail.

I still look at the maps I have every now and then for nostalgic reasons.
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Oct 3, 2008 3:22 pm

Mike Hood wrote:
graveleye wrote:That's a real shame.

I wonder if the park still allows you to go through Tunnel Cave? It's just a straight tube, about 100 feet long from one entrance to the other. You don't even need lights. However, it is a cave and right on a primary hiking trail.

I still look at the maps I have every now and then for nostalgic reasons.

Yep you can still do Tunnel Cave, I did the last time I was there.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Mike Hood » Oct 3, 2008 3:37 pm

Well, at least the park hasn't closed ALL of them! :clap:
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster