Getting started -- Moulton, AL

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Getting started -- Moulton, AL

Postby grimacethecaver » Sep 15, 2008 12:51 am

Hey folks! I live near Moulton, AL and am wanting to get underground. Three generations before me were miners around B'ham. Maybe that is the reason. :grin: I have enjoyed reading the forum here for a while and have learned a lot. I'm looking forward to getting some experience in the area caves. I've signed up with the NSS and contacted the HSV Grotto. And, I'm slowly getting my gear in order to go horizontal. :woohoo: Can I borrow some money? Anybody?

I'm 31 y.o. and married with children ages 8, 5 and 2. I have been a minister for five years with a congregation near Moulton. My educational background is in journalism, some psychology and some Russian language (very rusty). I have a B.A. in Biblical Studies. I also graduated from a 2-year preaching school (like a seminary).

I've been working extra jobs for the past couple years, and I am going to take a break to try some new things. I'm planning to work only ONE job, go back to school to get a secular degree and focus on one hobby/sport. School starts for me tomorrow. I've backed off my 2nd job. And, I hope to be in a cave soon! :boxing:

Besides writing term papers for school, I plan to spend some time doing creative writing. I recently wrote a lecture for a religious lectureship in Texas and the creativity bug bit me again. I preach three/four times a week, teach two adult classes and produce a bulletin, but I don't get to write the type of stuff one enjoys reading on vacation or at the end of a hard day.

I'm expecting that every cave I enter will reveal huge gemstones like those plastered to the walls of the kiddie cave in Rock City. I am positive that every waterfall will be a rainbow of colors--predominately ruby. I know I will find rooms of huge, perfect gypsum crystals like Naica. I'd like to find a passage to the center of the earth. Am I expecting too much? :shrug:
Tyrolean Traverse... I never saw so many Trekkies in one place! Personally, I like Tribbles.
grimacethecaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Tony Liddell
NSS #: 60487

Re: Getting started -- Moulton, AL

Postby CaverScott » Sep 15, 2008 10:18 am

Welcome :cavingrocks:

The hunstville crew are good folk, they will help you out!

Just don't tell them I said so, ok? :shhh:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby graveleye » Sep 15, 2008 10:20 am

I make my living picking up Confederate gold that is hidden in every cave in TAG, so your expectations aren't far off the mark. :shhh:

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure where Moulton is... near B'ham? I'm sure there is a grotto nearby you could check out. That's your best bet if you want to get caving.

Kevin
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby CaverScott » Sep 15, 2008 10:23 am

Molton is near Decauter, west of Huntsville.

If he wants to drive down here for meeetings, we will welcome him! (But Huntsville is much closer.)
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby grimacethecaver » Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Moulton is a nice little town about 30 minutes from the Shoals, 20 minutes from Decatur, 40 minutes from Huntsville, 40 minutes from Cullman. It's not far from all these fine places. I just wish gas was cheaper! If any nearby grotto members are going on a fairly easy caving trip in my area, and you don't mind me tagging along, let me know. Because of my work, as you can imagine, I am not able to go on Sundays and Wednesdays. I'd like to get in on the HSV Grotto Sauta trip, but :doh:, it's on a Sunday. Anyway, I'm looking forward to observing the giant salamanders that eat all that Confederate gold and lay golden eggs!
Tyrolean Traverse... I never saw so many Trekkies in one place! Personally, I like Tribbles.
grimacethecaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Tony Liddell
NSS #: 60487

Return to Caver Introductions