Cavers in British Columbia, Canada wanting to make contacts

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Cavers in British Columbia, Canada wanting to make contacts

Postby mira » Sep 4, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi everyone,

My friend Dave & I have been actively caving all summer long & would love to chat/email/correspond with fellow cavers. We live in the Columbia Valley in British Columbia, Canada. We are off to Vancouver Island in October to explore some caves there. Then off to Mexico & Ecuador in Dec. Any suggestions on where to go when in any of these places?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mira
mira
Infrequent Poster

Re: Cavers in British Columbia, Canada wanting to make contacts

Postby ian mckenzie » Sep 7, 2008 4:20 pm

You could start by contacting other BC cavers, all of whom will have caved on Van. Island, and many of whom will have caved in Mexico - don't know about Ecuador though. Check here for starters: http://www.cancaver.ca/docs/groups.htm#bc
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby mira » Sep 7, 2008 6:48 pm

Thanks for your time! I have come across this link & sent some emails to a few people; no response except for the ones for Canadian Caver & BC Caver Magazines which I have subscribed to. As for general questions to these people, I have not heard anything. I have heard that it is hard to get into a club, or get info & many people don't want to part with it. Is this true? I have also been in contact with Kevin in the West Kootenays. I will continue to put feelers out. Where are you located?
mira
Infrequent Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Sep 9, 2008 11:05 am

I'm in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta.

Different clubs have different levels of openness, keep plugging away, try to meet some folks and maybe drop in to one of their pub nights and make yourself known once you're on the Island.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mira » Sep 9, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks Ian. We have been up to Top of the World Park a few times this year , amongst others & have discovered many pits & caves up there. There is one in particular that we want to survey next summer. We are throwing around ideas about having a helicopter drop us & some barrels of food & supplies & staying there for a while. Would this be something that you might be interested in joining in on, especially since you are really not too far away from us? My email is mirabelle2@gmail.com. Take care
mira
Infrequent Poster

Postby MtnMaster » May 2, 2009 10:22 pm

I live in the Crowsnest Pass, and am looking for Caving partners for the summer. Interested in making more trips up to Gargantua and Yorkshire Pot. Anyone please contact me if interested... I know the area inside and out, and I know easier ways up to these caves, than most people take...
:waving:
MtnMaster
Infrequent Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » May 4, 2009 7:00 pm

MtnMaster wrote:I live in the Crowsnest Pass, and am looking for Caving partners for the summer. Interested in making more trips up to Gargantua and Yorkshire Pot. Anyone please contact me if interested... I know the area inside and out, and I know easier ways up to these caves, than most people take...
:waving:

Check the website www.caving.ab.ca . We have four or five members in the Pass. PM me and we'll go for a beer sometime.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mira » May 7, 2009 12:05 pm

Are either of you going to the cave rescue workshop this weekend in Blairmore? I will be there & would love to meet with you.
Mira
mira
Infrequent Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » May 7, 2009 4:05 pm

I am not attending the workshop per se, but am helping set it up and will be hanging around a bit.
Where are people staying; camping out or what. It snowed here today but I understand the weekend is supposed to be beautiful.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MtnMaster » May 8, 2009 12:14 pm

A couple friends and I are heading up to try and find Red October on Sentry mtn, next week or so. Anyone have any pointers on where it is? I have a general idea, and know there is normally a Cairn(appearently) But anyone know exactly where? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.... thanks!
MtnMaster
Infrequent Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » May 9, 2009 1:59 pm

MtnMaster wrote:A couple friends and I are heading up to try and find Red October on Sentry mtn, next week or so. Anyone have any pointers on where it is? I have a general idea, and know there is normally a Cairn(appearently) But anyone know exactly where? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.... thanks!

I do. Again, PM me and we can get together. Probably too much snow there now, given what happened yesterday.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions