A Texas Caver...Back in the saddle after 10+ years

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

A Texas Caver...Back in the saddle after 10+ years

Postby Clint » Aug 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Many and many a year ago in a world of rose-colored tint, there lived a college student whom none of you know, an inauspicious guy named Clint.

Hi Folks. Or should I say "howdy y'all" (being from Texas and all).

Yes, I got my start in caving during the mid-1990's with the UT (University of Texas) Grotto. I had a great time, but unfortunately, the experience lasted but a year (life getting in the way of life, you might say). Now let's fast forward a few years. I eventually got a Masters degree in epidemiology, became a Bioterrorism Epidemiologist (a disaster planner and disease detective of sorts) for the City of Houston, and then after several years with Houston, left governmental employ to become a Homeland Security Consultant (think disaster exercises, trainings, and plans). In the middle of it all, I also became a husband, and a bit later, a father. Somewhere along the way, I realized that I really missed outdoor activities (which, prior to college were a staple in my life). My wife then reminded me of caving, and suggested I get back into it.

So here's where a few coincidences occurred. First of all, while in college I spent my summers doing archeological work for an archeological consulting company in Houston. The chap that owned the company happened to be the Chairman of the Greater Houston Grotto (GHG) at the time. Thus, I was well aware that Houston had an active caving group and even knew the name of it. So I did a quick internet search, and bingo, there it was. Coincidence #2 was that the group meets only about 5 minutes from where I work (and Houston's a HUGE place). Coincidence #3 was that they were meeting only a day or two after I conducted that initial search. So I got back into caving.

That was the spring of 2007, and truthfully my transition back into caving has been slow. I lead a busy life, and sometimes months go by before I find a free weekend for caving. But I also discovered that as a new member of the grotto it could be a bit difficult to find out about upcoming trips. So after the GHG requested help with recruiting new members, I jumped at the opportunity and established a meetup.com site for the Grotto (a GREAT recruitment resource and organization tool). The site was launched on March 26th, and since that day we've had 40+ new people register for the group expressing an interest in caving. More importantly for me, I'm now a clearing house for posting and managing upcoming Grotto events! Needless to say, my caving trips are finally becoming a bit more regular, and I'm starting to develop those necessary contacts that will allow me to book my own trips.

So that's my long-ass story. I figure that my participation in this forum is part of that natural evolution for cavers. Truthfully, though, the reason I registered is to get help with planning some events for the Grotto. You see, getting people to sign-up for our meetup site is one thing. Getting them to attend events is quite another. In Houston we only have meetings once a month, and novice caving trips can be sporadic and require a 3+ hour drive to the Texas Hill County. If someone can't drive halfway across Houston during rush-hour traffic to attend a weekday, monthly meeting, and they happen to be busy on the weekend we plan a novice trip (which may only occur once every couple of months), then our new registries lose interest. I don't like that. So I'll be exploring alternate ways to get people involved and interested in caving that won't require leaving Houston or having to navigate rush-hour traffic. For that, I'll need everyone's help. So be prepared for a few posts in the coming days/weeks. And please be free with the advice. Thanks!

Cheers,
Clint :grin:
" The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination."

--H.P. Lovecraft
Clint
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 60685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Houston Grotto

Re: A Texas Caver...Back in the saddle after 10+ years

Postby InTucky » Aug 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Clint wrote: My wife then reminded me of caving, and suggested I get back into it.

1. welcome to the forum!!
2. Don't ever leave your wife!!
3. Does your wife have a sister?
I don't know how long it is
Yes we have to go back the same way!
Dry Socks.......Gods greatest creation!
InTucky
Frequent Poster

Name: Dustin Tandy
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Cincinnati Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions