What Grotto to join near Northern KY ?

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

What Grotto to join near Northern KY ?

Postby 1cityboygonhillbilly » Aug 13, 2008 3:35 pm

Another newbie here.........

Me, my wife & daughter have always enjoyed caving and recently have explored a few "wild" caves and REALLY enjoyed it. I am a bit OCD....lol.....and every weekend lately were off for a hiking adventure to Red River Gorge, Cumberland, Hocking Hills Ohio and other places hiking and looking for caves. Last weekend we hiked over 17 miles finding one great cave ( with the exception that many know of the cave and its abused) and a lot of little crawls and sinks that I played around in, some only going in a few feet but exploring was a blast. We want to join a local grotto but I am undecided which to join. It looks as if there are 5 within an hour of me here in Northern Kentucky ( I have them listed below). I am sure they are all great but maybe someone could be kind enough to point out anything that may make one stand out from the other or the most active group? When I find something I enjoy I go all out and im ready to learn from the pro's and get in the next cave! Anyone taking the time to post a response let me thank you in advance!

Shane Mullins

Miami Valley Grotto
15602 Hillcrest Road
Mount Orab, OH, 45154

Dayton Underground Grotto
4809 Wolford Rd.
Xenia, OH, 45385

Greater Cincinnati Grotto
6356 Deermeade Drive
Florence, KY, 41042,

Red-Eye Karst Team
6438 Snider Rd
Loveland, OH, 45140-9589

Blue Grass Grotto
720 B Aurora Ave
Lexington, KY, 40502
1cityboygonhillbilly
Infrequent Poster

Re: What Grotto to join near Northern KY ?

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 13, 2008 7:51 pm

How far are you from louisville? I'm just over the river in southern IN and us hoosiers go pretty regular though there are certainly caves closer.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby 1cityboygonhillbilly » Aug 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Im about 90 min from Louisville I believe. How far are you from the 275 loop in Indiana? Are you a member of the Louisville Grotto? I have read about many caves in that area and my & my wife were actually thinking about going to some trails around Cave City in the next few weeks and hiking 10-15 miles. I dont mind driving at all !

Shane
1cityboygonhillbilly
Infrequent Poster

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 14, 2008 7:09 am

Shane,

Consider this an invitation to join the Dayton Underground Grotto. We welcome new members all the time and have several who live in Kentucky. Our website is http://www.dugcaves.com. You can also PM me for more info.

:cavingrocks:

Mike
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 14, 2008 10:39 am

There are definitely lots of great cavers in Ohio! Myself, I'm from northern Illinois. But I do most of my caving in southern Indiana and in Kentucky. I like your screen name -- care to elaborate? 1cityboygonhillbilly ... where are you from? I'm from the suburbs of Chicago, but I love rural areas. :big grin:
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby 1cityboygonhillbilly » Aug 14, 2008 12:12 pm

In response to Mike & Laura as well as another question to the community......

I am enjoying the replies and the friendliness of everyone here! Looking forward to more replies and getting to know people.

Thanks for the invitation to Dayton Mike. That really made me feel good to be invited.

I know ( as the saying goes) there are no dumb questions in life so why is it I always seem to have one? Lol.....My question is would I be welcomed as a guest at various grotto groups? It would be nice to get a feel for different groups and get to meet a larger network of people who are involved in caving.

Laura, my screen name suits my life I guess and is a favorite statement of my neigbors here in Kentucky. I grew up in a very bad area of Cincinnati called Price Hill ( makes the news every night nowadays) and didnt leave that god forsaken place until 3yrs ago. I am now 7 miles outside of the closest "real" city on 7 acres with 4 horses, 3 german Shepards, a 6 month old wolf hybrid, 2 parrots and a few other critters. My fantastic new neighbor had to show me how to ride and take care of horses ( a crash course that I picked right up on), how to operate my new tractor that I didnt even know how to start, how to use a log splitter and stop backdrafts in a fireplace and many other "hillbilly" things. You can imagine the fun they had with me! So they termed me city boy gone hillbilly! Just like caving I guess, even being a hillbilly has a learning curve! ( I use the term hillbilly lightly, if it should happen to offend anyone I apoligize)

Shane Mullins
1cityboygonhillbilly
Infrequent Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 14, 2008 12:50 pm

1cityboygonhillbilly wrote:Laura, my screen name suits my life I guess and is a favorite statement of my neigbors here in Kentucky. I grew up in a very bad area of Cincinnati called Price Hill ( makes the news every night nowadays) and didnt leave that god forsaken place until 3yrs ago. I am now 7 miles outside of the closest "real" city on 7 acres with 4 horses, 3 german Shepards, a 6 month old wolf hybrid, 2 parrots and a few other critters. My fantastic new neighbor had to show me how to ride and take care of horses ( a crash course that I picked right up on), how to operate my new tractor that I didnt even know how to start, how to use a log splitter and stop backdrafts in a fireplace and many other "hillbilly" things. You can imagine the fun they had with me! So they termed me city boy gone hillbilly! Just like caving I guess, even being a hillbilly has a learning curve! ( I use the term hillbilly lightly, if it should happen to offend anyone I apoligize)

Shane Mullins

That sounds wonderful! For the longest time, my husband wanted a wolf-hybrid, too! I told him sure, if we moved to somewhere with A LOT of land! We're fairly settled where we are right now though, but never say never!

No offense taken here concerning the term: hillbilly, but of course I can't speak for everyone, especially since I'm not really considered a hillbilly. Suburban brat more like ... although I think we have it the worst of everyone! We're too "city" for the rural folk and too "rural" for the city folk. I'm near Chicago, but I'd be as lost in the city itself as someone from Cave City!

Your post also reminded me of the phrase I recently coined for myself ... I am a Jewish Hillbilly Pilgrim. My dad's family is Jewish (it's not my religion though), I only found out about 6 months ago that my mom's dad's family were mostly coal miners in Virginia years ago, and some of my mom's family came over on the Mayflower (as per a family tree my great aunt researched). :banana:
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Aug 14, 2008 2:19 pm

1cityboygonhillbilly wrote:Just like caving I guess, even being a hillbilly has a learning curve! ( I use the term hillbilly lightly, if it should happen to offend anyone I apoligize.)

:big grin:
I grew up in a very small town in the mountains of central PA....bonafide "hillbilly" country. Except I gots me some schoolin. I prefer the term, "Appalachian American"..... :rofl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 14, 2008 2:56 pm

Cavemud wrote:"Appalachian American"..... :rofl:

:rofl: :banana:
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 14, 2008 4:15 pm

I'm about 20 minutes N of louisville and regularly cave in Harrison and Crawford Counties as well. I am not in the louisville grotto for a number of reasons but I am an active member of the Harrison-Crawford grotto based near Corydon In.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm

Ever get in to Sullivan, wyandottecaver?

:off topic:
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 14, 2008 4:42 pm

LOL

Amazingly, No. I've been in well over 150 Indiana caves and somehow haven't made a trip there yet. Actually I haven't been in Buckners either! Both are on my to-do list though. I'm am satisfied with reading the trip reports for Waynes :big grin: Anytime your going to be in Southern IN let me know.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Wow! And I've only been in a few IN caves ... including Sullivan 4 times and Buckner's twice! :laughing:

We definitely gotta get you to Sullivan. It's one of my favorites. Next summer we're going to go back I think, but there may be other trips before then. I usually go with the Near Normal Grotto. Next spring I may go to Wayne's for the first time. After Wilson Cave in KY ... Wayne's can't be that bad!!
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 15, 2008 8:43 am

Sullivan is one of my favorite caves and have done many trips in it over the years. I lead an annual trip there for the Dayton Underground Grotto.

Shane, feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions about the Dayton Underground Grotto.

:kewl: :cavingrocks:

Mike
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 15, 2008 8:49 am

Caver1402 wrote:Wow! And I've only been in a few IN caves ... including Sullivan 4 times and Buckner's twice! :laughing:

We definitely gotta get you to Sullivan. It's one of my favorites. Next summer we're going to go back I think, but there may be other trips before then. I usually go with the Near Normal Grotto. Next spring I may go to Wayne's for the first time. After Wilson Cave in KY ... Wayne's can't be that bad!!

Wayne's is notorious for it's long crawlway (which I think is overrated--it's not nearly as bad as some people make it sound). It's definitely a cave to put on your "to-do" list. Buckner is also a fun cave and a lot nicer since all of the restoration and cleanup that's been going on there.

If you haven't been to Sullivan, Buckner, or Wayne, you need to go. Of course there are lots of caves in Indiana that should be on everyone's "to-do" list. :bananabat:

Mike
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caver Introductions