What Grotto to join near Northern KY ?

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What Grotto to join near Northern KY ?

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 15, 2008 8:55 am

Hey Mike, have you been to the Emergence in Sullivan? I'm always interested in hearing people's tales about that area, because it seems so rarely visited!
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 15, 2008 9:00 am

Caver1402 wrote:Hey Mike, have you been to the Emergence in Sullivan? I'm always interested in hearing people's tales about that area, because it seems so rarely visited!

I have. It's the Speed Spring (aka Speed Hollow) entrance/exit. It's a lot of fun, but a fairly long hike back as you can't cut across the adjoining landowner's field anymore.

I've also heard the breakdown crawl to it from the Spiral Room is unstable and may have even collapsed in one place. I haven't been there to check since I heard about it. Can anyone who's been there lately confirm it?

If you want a real hard-core trip, do the "Beyond-the-Beyond" all they way to the rise of the Sullivan River. It's a wetsuit trip and is about a 12-hour round trip (if you know the way). Lots of long bathtubs, but also the largest passage and rooms in the cave.

ike
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 15, 2008 9:18 am

Mike Hood wrote:I have. It's the Speed Spring (aka Speed Hollow) entrance/exit. It's a lot of fun, but a fairly long hike back as you can't cut across the adjoining landowner's field anymore.

I've also heard the breakdown crawl to it from the Spiral Room is unstable and may have even collapsed in one place. I haven't been there to check since I heard about it. Can anyone who's been there lately confirm it?

If you want a real hard-core trip, do the "Beyond-the-Beyond" all they way to the rise of the Sullivan River. It's a wetsuit trip and is about a 12-hour round trip (if you know the way). Lots of long bathtubs, but also the largest passage and rooms in the cave.

I'm sorry, I was referring to the "Beyond-the-Beyond"! I've heard it called both the Rise and the Emergence before. :grin:
Few people seem to go there -- both times I've been it took us 16 hours. But it's an awesome trip! So, have you done it, too?

Oh, oh, and on this most recent trip we did the circuit from the Farth North Y around past the Rise!!!! :cavingrocks:

Oh, oh, oh, and how about the Endless Crevice through the Connection Spring to the Flood Route? :yikes:
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Aug 15, 2008 9:57 am

Hi Shane! I too grew up in and near Price Hill! Summit ave. A great friend of mine owned Souders Service! I moved to Tag (Chattanooga) 25 years ago! I have a brother still living in Price hill so I understand the news coverage! You have found a wonderfull avenue for Caving info here. Welcome! :waving:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby 1cityboygonhillbilly » Aug 15, 2008 10:53 am

Hi Brian. Wow! Its a small world. So you been off the Hill for 25yrs huh? Did you go to Roberts Jr. High & West High? It sure was different back then. As you know it was a tough place back then but now its like something out of a gang movie really........real bad from Grand Ave up to Dewey Ave. I still have my office over there so I drive by Souders ( closed last year I think? ) 3 times a week. My office is up closer to Delhi so im not in the worst of it ( yet). I know "Big" & Little John Souders who I believe are related to the owners? I went to School with Little John who last I spoke with him was doing "gunite" concrete work. He worked on and made some of the cave like displays at the Cincinnati Zoo, really neat stuff that any caver would love.

So where do you cave? Ever go within a couple hours of Cincinnati?

Shane Mullins
1cityboygonhillbilly
Infrequent Poster

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 15, 2008 12:31 pm

Caver1402 wrote:
Mike Hood wrote:I have. It's the Speed Spring (aka Speed Hollow) entrance/exit. It's a lot of fun, but a fairly long hike back as you can't cut across the adjoining landowner's field anymore.

I'm sorry, I was referring to the "Beyond-the-Beyond"! I've heard it called both the Rise and the Emergence before. :grin:
Few people seem to go there -- both times I've been it took us 16 hours. But it's an awesome trip! So, have you done it, too?

Oh, oh, and on this most recent trip we did the circuit from the Farth North Y around past the Rise!!!! :cavingrocks:

Oh, oh, oh, and how about the Endless Crevice through the Connection Spring to the Flood Route? :yikes:

I done it once many years ago, although we did not do the circuit around it. I only tried the Crevice Connection once and could not get through. I'm too tall, and my legs don't bend at the right place to make the "Z bend" just before you pop out near the North Y. :yikes:
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 15, 2008 12:44 pm

We've stolen the poor guy's intro thread! I'll respond under your new post regarding Indiana caves! :woohoo:
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Shane sent me a PM and was overjoyed at how much response his post has gotten. I don't think he minds that his thread got hijacked. But, I agree we should move discussion of Indiana caves to the new thread! :bananabat: :hijack:
Last edited by Mike Hood on Aug 16, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby 1cityboygonhillbilly » Aug 15, 2008 1:54 pm

Mikes correct. I dont mind at all. Its good to see and hear the camaraderie. Part of why I am here is to get a feel for what the members are like and what attitudes in general most cavers have. As with many activities, sports, and groups there are usually "clicks". That can be a positive but ive seen it get to the point where outsiders or newbies dont feel welcome which is a shame. I just started skydiving and the experianced guys ( for the most part) dont socialize with the new jumpers ( unless they are getting paid). I dont really feel welcome there but I am paying my money so im going to learn regardless of weather I make friends along the way, I dont think I like them either! LOL..... Honestly I expected that here but its been just the opposite. Reminds me of boaters. 5 years ago I was new at our dock, nearly hitting others peoples boats when docking ( its tough in the Ohio River backing into a slip if the river is even slightly up and please dont add a windy day on top of that...). So usually when they saw me coming in there would be a handfull of people by my slip telling me what to do and helping catch the ropes. They showed me basic things and never put me down and were always friendly and glad to see me. In todays world you dont find such unity easily. I get the feeling many of you cavers share that also. :clap:

Shane Mullins
1cityboygonhillbilly
Infrequent Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Aug 15, 2008 2:11 pm

We do, we do! Though I have "heard" of various issues/politics occuring, I've never been affected by them. Everyone I know has been very nice and friendly. I hope that never changes, but I'm sure that's a naive thought. There are many varied types of people who cave, so there's bound to be disagreements, hurt feelings, etc. In fact, I've heard opinions that the CRF (http://cave-research.org) is elitist, but I never got that impression. Of course, things have changed a lot over the past 50 yrs I'm sure.
Laura J. Lexander
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Aug 15, 2008 3:31 pm

Shane, I haven't been to caves up there since leaving! Ky. was my playground during college years. Commitments with family and work make far off trips hard, and with so many world class caves in TAG I can cave here with little notice when the time allows! I just keep the gear ready! If you ever get to TAG let me know!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Aug 15, 2008 3:44 pm

By the way Don Souders (original owner) Tom inherited from don then started his store on Elbron ave and 8th after selling out. Scott and Danny are younger brothers! Tom closed his shop 2yrs ago and moved to Utah!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 16, 2008 7:03 am

Caver1402 wrote:We do, we do! Though I have "heard" of various issues/politics occuring, I've never been affected by them. Everyone I know has been very nice and friendly. I hope that never changes, but I'm sure that's a naive thought. There are many varied types of people who cave, so there's bound to be disagreements, hurt feelings, etc. In fact, I've heard opinions that the CRF (http://cave-research.org) is elitist, but I never got that impression. Of course, things have changed a lot over the past 50 yrs I'm sure.

I've run into cliques in caving circles before, but fortunately, it doesn't seem to happen too much in my part of the country. I find most cavers to be open and friendly (though they might get a bit mysterious if you ask about their current survey project). :big grin:
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby HKalnitz » Aug 27, 2008 6:19 am

Shane
sorry for missing this for a bit - but don't forget about Greater Cincinnati Grotto! We too, are real active mostly in eastern Ky, and a lot of our members reside in Northern Kentucky.
We meet first friday of the month at UC and have a site at
http://www.gcgcavers.com//

But we also have a lot of other activities - you can catch up on these at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GCGrotto/

Next meeting (september) is in the field (not at UC, but near Mt. Vernon) October meeting will be held at the Musuem Center, right at the cave exhibit! November will be back at UC. Let me know if you want info on any of these.

Dayton and Cinci grottos are close (we have to be, being in each others back yards) and share a lot of activities and members - Join either one, and you will get a lot of opportunities to cave in Kentucky and Indiana
Howard
The NSS needs Cavers more then Cavers need the NSS
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 27, 2008 9:36 am

:exactly: :big grin:
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Introductions