Newbie Central Californian signing on...

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie Central Californian signing on...

Postby SteveG » Jul 15, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi all,

Although I've never been caving I've recently developed a fascination with it. I've been searching for local (San Luis Obispo) groups and caves but so far nothing. Not surprising, but I figure there has to be something somewhat close. I'm hoping to find some good information here to get me started. If anyone knows of a relatively local grotto, please let me know. I would very much like to join a group and get my feet wet.

Thanks in advance for your help!
SteveG
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 819

Re: Newbie Central Californian signing on...

Postby cavedoc » Jul 16, 2008 9:57 am

The San Joaquin Valley Grotto is in Fresno. Not really close, but maybe closer than others. PM me if you'd like to get on the e-mail list. The meeting tonight is a barbeque.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby wendy » Jul 16, 2008 2:43 pm

If you go to caves.org you can search for local caving groups in yoru area.

Also I notived you have 819 for your NSS #...but you say you never relaly caved before, what's up with that? just curious.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby SteveG » Jul 16, 2008 4:19 pm

wendy wrote:If you go to caves.org you can search for local caving groups in yoru area.

Also I notived you have 819 for your NSS #...but you say you never relaly caved before, what's up with that? just curious.

I just signed up then realized most there seemed to be experienced cavers. Maybe I was supposed to wait until I had some experience under my belt? Oops! I did go to caves.org searching for local groups, but as far as I can see the nearest is Fresno.

cavedoc wrote:The San Joaquin Valley Grotto is in Fresno. Not really close, but maybe closer than others. PM me if you'd like to get on the e-mail list. The meeting tonight is a barbeque.

mmmm, BBQ!

The San Joaquin Valley Grotto is the closest and may be my best option. Are meetings mandatory before someone is allowed to take part in one of the trips? Although I'd love to attend a meeting, the three hour drive (six, round trip), is a little much. My hope was that I could meet at an event and see what it's all about. Of course, I would research as much possible and attempt to be as prepared as possible before the trip. Maybe I could make up meeting time by logging too many hours reading here? haha.

Thanks for your help!
SteveG
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 819

Postby wendy » Jul 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Oh no its great that you joined, no experience needed there, i was just referring to your NSS # on your profile here being 819, I never seen one that low.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions