m

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

m

Postby shamtastic » Jul 6, 2008 8:30 pm

a
Last edited by shamtastic on Dec 13, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shamtastic

Re: N Utah caver

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 7, 2008 9:46 am

shamtastic wrote:My name is Scott.. I have enjoyed caving since high school, when I branched out from rock climbing and a friend took me to Canteen Springs. I then did Boomerang Cave (though I didnt know it at the time) and that was that. I think I joined this site a while ago, and posted a few times... cant remember though.

Welcome Scott. Boomerang is one of my all time favorites, a great cave that gets technically more challenging the deeper you go.
Are you in Logan or elsewhere in N. Utah, like say Ogden? Either way there should be two grottos close to you (which is relative). Bear River which is technically in Idaho and Wasatch Grotto. You should look 'em up and get together with them.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby shamtastic » Jul 9, 2008 12:20 am

a
Last edited by shamtastic on Dec 13, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shamtastic

Postby shamtastic » Jul 9, 2008 12:42 am

a
Last edited by shamtastic on Dec 13, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shamtastic

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 9, 2008 5:08 pm

shamtastic wrote:I was actually kinda surprised with the Well/Cave... It took so long to find it, and when we did, it looked like someone had recently been there... A couple pieces of trash at the top, and at the bottom of the first drop.

That's surprising. But I sincerely doubt that it was cavers that did it. The area is visited by non-cavers and the irresistible urge to throwing one's trash down a deep dark hole is probably too much.
Remember to be careful if you decide to go deeper into the cave. There's an area that's informally called "Point Of No Rescue" and it's no joke. You get hurt any point beyond that and it'll be nearly impossible to get you out via sked or litter or any other way.
I had thought about a person being pulled out via OSS but if there's a spinal injury well... count on yourself caving vicariously via wheelchair. It's that twisty and tight, to maneuver someone through would mean having to bend them at right angles. Pretty nasty. So... rule of thumb... don't get hurt beyond that point.
Now if you just got a busted limb or something then that's different. Just dope you up and pull you right on out. ow!

Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby shamtastic » Jul 9, 2008 6:37 pm

a
Last edited by shamtastic on Dec 13, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shamtastic

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 9, 2008 8:12 pm

shamtastic wrote:We went in the lead on the left, at the top of the breakdown... it split and we followed left until we could go any further, went back and went right till a drop of where we could hear water rushing. I guess the real way to the bottom is on the other part of the breakdown, on the other side of the big cavern. We were just scouting it prior to pushing the whole way... Probably in a coulple weekends. We will be careful. I didnt spend two years in Iraq to die in a cave in Utah. :)

:grin: Rather die in a cave than in some foreign country that's for sure... unless of course the cave is in a foreign country :roll: ... but... welcome home either way.
There are folks that you might want to talk to who would help you out with the cave itself... There are members of the Utah grottos who have helped survey the cave and know it's ins and outs very well. They could help you familiarize yourself with the interior.
PM me and I can refer you to those in the know.

Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jumar » Jul 15, 2008 2:31 pm

Welcome Scott!
Jeff
NSS #60335
Timpanogas Grotto
http://www.my-mania.com/adventure.htm