Hello.... Arizona?

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello.... Arizona?

Postby speleogem » Jul 2, 2008 11:56 am

Hey, I'm a VA caver, been so for a few years now. Problem: I'm moving to Arizona (or maybe possibly NM) in about a month. Anyone care to help me out by answering a couple of vague questions about caving in AZ? I've emailed several people (board members, in fact) from the nearest grotto and gotten zero response! I know people like to keep caves a secret until they know the newbie isn't a loony or a liar but I really felt my questions were answerable, so I'm giving it a whirl on here...
Is it a long drive to caving from the Prescott area (or, if my plans don't quite work, from Gallup NM)?
How's the vertical out there? I'd hate to waste all that gear
And, while I'm at it, anyone want to jump right on board and volunteer to take me caving once I get settled? I'm not a loony or a liar, I swear!
Thanks!
Last edited by speleogem on Jul 2, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speleogem
Infrequent Poster

Name: Ehren
NSS #: 56848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tri-State Grotto

Re: Hello.... Arizona?

Postby CaveGimp » Jul 2, 2008 2:25 pm

Well shoot me an e-mail, tooleyg@cox.net. I live in Phoenix now, but lived in Prescott for a few years. Yes we do have caves, and yes secercy is still an issue out here. We can get into that subject over a couple of beers after a cave trip once you are out here.

Caves near Prescott, well how many miles is a long drive? I doubt there are any caves say like 10 miles from the courthouse, but there are caves a few hours drive. Now if you like rock climbing that is only 10 miles from the courthouse. :grin:

Vertical, yes we do have vertical out here. Since I have not caved in VA I'm not sure I could give you a good answer as to the quality of our vertical, as we have a different frame of reference, but yes we have pits.

Sure, look me up and I'll get you on a trip when you get out here. But the part about you not being loony I think is a lie. You are a caver, we are all loony. :banana:

As far as Gallup, I let some NM folks answer that, but when I drive through there I see lots of lava fields...

Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Hello.... Arizona?

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 2, 2008 5:14 pm

Hey Speleogem, I have a caver's patch from Arizona that is circular with large letters saying "Arizona has no caves to speak of" with a slash through a nice background picture of a cave grotto. :laughing: Actually, that should be in capital letters, but you get the point. As Cavegimp pointed out, "...secercy is still an issue out here." One thing in your favor, you're going to be living there; and, the second thing is that you've been given an invite by Cavegimp to yak and get acquainted. I remember doing some nice drops and seeing some nice voids in the ground, so...that's as much secrecy you're going to get from me. :rofl:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby speleogem » Jul 3, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks to you both! Nice to hear a little something. Looking forward to getting underground!
speleogem
Infrequent Poster

Name: Ehren
NSS #: 56848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tri-State Grotto

Postby Tom Gilleland » Jul 15, 2008 2:29 am

Contact the Northern Arizona Grotto there in Prescott. Larry Zimmer, Roy Barton, Christina Jan are all really nice people and active cavers in that area.

-Tom
Tom Gilleland
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26508
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Arizona Grotto

Hello.... Arizona?

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 15, 2008 8:47 am

And, if you don't know too much about climbing, you'll have a great instructor in Roy Barton. He holds climbing records in the NSS Climbing contests and is still going strong at...well, I'll let you find out his age when you meet him. :rofl: He's a terrific guy, though!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 15, 2008 9:31 am

It would be nice to see photos of AZ caves and the names don't necessarily have to be attached to them. I understand that AZ has some really spectacular stuff.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Hello.... Arizona?

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 15, 2008 10:18 am

Ralph, click on some of Tom's links, above, to view some of what you're suggesting, on AZ cave pictures. :cavingrocks:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions