Hi from yet another German

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hi from yet another German

Postby tilmanb » Mar 12, 2008 10:31 am

Hello,

my name is Til, and I cave in the Harz mountains.

I live in Oldenburg/Germay, which is located near the north sea. We do have a mountain here, but it is only 8 meters high (maybe I should convert to imperial, 27 sounds much more impressive :tonguecheek: ).

I cave in the Harz mountains, our main limestone area is the "Iberg", which contains natural caves intermingled with oremining remains --- the miners used the natural caves to get to the ore and then dug it out. So we quite often find archaeological remains in the cave - footprints, lamps, woodplanks...

Our deepest cave has a total depth of approx. 140meters, the deepest direct pit is 70 meters, the longest cave has more than 5km total length, but most of the caves are medium-sized.

I study computer science at Carl von Ossietzky University in Oldenburg, aiming for graduation (Diploma, equivalent to MSc) this fall.

My masters thesis will be about a web-based cave and karst database/GIS.

Greetings,
Til
tilmanb
Infrequent Poster

Re: Hi from yet another German

Postby NZcaver » Mar 12, 2008 11:08 am

Willkommen! Welcome to the forum. :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 12, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi, Til,

Welcome to the forum.

I also explored the caves on the Iberg many years ago when I was a soldier in Wiesbaden.

It is a beautiful area.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby tilmanb » Mar 12, 2008 6:14 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Hi, Til,

Welcome to the forum.

I also explored the caves on the Iberg many years ago when I was a soldier in Wiesbaden.

It is a beautiful area.

Hi Phil,

yes, it is beautiful.

We have some maps from a Mr. Hensler (don't recall if he was British or American) who explored the area in 1947. We resurveyed one of his surveys to get digital polygon data and found his maps to be quite correct.

Unfortunately some of the Iberg is being destroyed by the limestone mine that already "ate" the Winterberg (right next to the Iberg). Some of the caves you visited are probably not there anymore --- although, technically, the caves are still there, only the mountain surrounding them is gone ;)

Happy caving,
Til
tilmanb
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi Til. Welcome! :waving:

Come on over to the 2009 International Congress for some US hospitality, Texas style. (Your Eruo will still go a long way a year from now, I suspect!) The Congress folks are planning some great speleo-camps before and afterwards, if you have time to hang around and cave.
Even meet some CaveChat folks! :chicken:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Juergen » Mar 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi Til,

Pleased to see that you made your way from the German Mühlbachforum over the North Atlantic, too. :waving:

Regards from the Swabian Mountains.

Jürgen
Juergen
Frequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions