a new member, from germany

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: a new member, from germany

Postby JackW » Feb 1, 2008 11:18 pm

Hello Andy!

Welcome to the forum!!! My wife is German; from Munich. Last time I was in Germany I went on a short trip to a great cave south of there with a Caver from Munich, Werner (sorry, no last names in public). Great guy! Although I don't remember the name of the cave. Anyway, I'm planning to return in June/July for two weeks and have discussed a trip with a friend who is a Biology professor here in the US but is originally from near Dresden. I know that you're a bit far from Munich, but if you're interested it be great to meet.

btw... Like Werner, I would encourage you to attend the ICS in 2009 being held in Texas.
JackW
Prolific Poster

Name: Jack Wood
NSS #: 42272
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FRG

Postby caveman » Feb 2, 2008 8:49 am

there are several Werners in the munich caving club i know :laughing:
may be u was in the region of Oberstdorf. Germanies longerst cave is there, the Höllloch with about 10km length. our caving club has a research area near it, on the Gottesacker Plateu, trying to reach the Höllloch from the other side.
Mostly we are there for 1 or 2 weeks during late august/early september, cause before the weather isnt stabil enough to explore the caves in this area. a smal rain can make it impossible to get out of the cave again already. i cant say if im able to do anything with caving during this summer, cause ill be in the middle of my final project to finish my studdy. i think illl be realy bussy with it :sad:

i also dont know if i can afford a flight to texas next year. ill need to find a realy good paid job before than :wink:

i dont know a Gerhard Schmitt from Aschaffenburg. May be our geologists do know him.
As far as i know, nothing changed in the Kubacher Kristall Höhle since u explored it. its too dangerous to dig at the end and there is no other place worth digging downwards. but the cavers found some other objects where they are digging down to find the collecteur of the Blauhöhlen-System. 14 month ago 1 of the caving clubs found a huge part of the dry passages of this system. u can have a look here http://www.arge-grabenstetten.de/ on the left site there are links to the "Blauhöhle" and "Vetterhöhle". The Blauhöhle is the underwater part of the cavesystem, the Vetterhöhle is the dry part. both caves belong together and the exploration is going on. the cavesystem is connected with the Kubacher Kristal Höhle and they try to find the whole system.

ill show the picture to Elmar Hammerschmidt. may be he remebers about this time :)
caveman
Infrequent Poster

Postby adleedy » Feb 2, 2008 1:34 pm

sorry for the late reply, just now noticed this thread...Welcome to the forum! :waving:
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby tilmanb » Mar 12, 2008 10:58 am

Phil Winkler wrote:I also recall we explored caves in the Hertz Mountains to the east of you. There was one mountain in particular with many, many caves on it. Small caves, though.

That supposedly was* the Iberg, where I mostly cave.

Do you recall any contact names there? Maybe I know them.

* Grammar question, as I am no native speaker: Did I choose the correct times? My other option was to write "That would supposedly have been...", which is a more literal translation from the german "das wird ... gewesen sein", but I chose simple past in accordance to the KISS Principle of software design, adapted ;-) .
tilmanb
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 12, 2008 12:31 pm

Til,

I'm sure you saw my posting by yours about the Iberg. As soon as I saw the name it rang a bell in my memory.

I think Stephan Kempe first told us of the Iberg, but I'm not sure.

As for the grammar I think: "That was probably the Iberg.." reflects what you meant to say.

Probably = moglich?

My German is very rusty nowadays except for ordering beer. :)
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Caver06 » Mar 12, 2008 4:33 pm

So neat, all this German talk! I moved to Kansas from Heidelberg this past July and am seriously missing friends, beer, schnitzel, Germal humor, and well-behaved dogs. Stephan Kempe (from Univ. Darmstadt) was awesome helping me out when I taught a high-school level cave class over there. If you're checking this forum now and then Dr. Kempe, thanks again for all your help and getting me set up to take my class to Eberstadter Tropfsteinhöhle. Sometimes I use a translation program called Babel Fish with my German friends when we feel too lazy to work on our email correspondences. It's not perfect, but it gets the point across. Willkommen! (Real name is Suzanna Langowski)
Caver06
Infrequent Poster

Name: Suzanna Langowski
NSS #: 45394
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto

Postby tilmanb » Mar 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Til,

I'm sure you saw my posting by yours about the Iberg. As soon as I saw the name it rang a bell in my memory.

I think Stephan Kempe first told us of the Iberg, but I'm not sure.

As for the grammar I think: "That was probably the Iberg.." reflects what you meant to say.

Probably = moglich?

My German is very rusty nowadays except for ordering beer. :)

Hi,

yes, I know Mr. Kempe. He's acquainted with our caving club.

probably is "möglicherweise" or "wahrscheinlich" in German, depending on what you want to say.
tilmanb
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 20, 2008 7:51 am

Another German caver friend was Michael Kipp from Stuttgart. He took Chuck Pease and I to a cave very close to the autobahn to Munich named Totsburger Schacht (Death Mountain Pit) . It is gated, too.

Is he still active?
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Previous

Return to Caver Introductions