FINALLY a caver!!! North Alabama!

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

FINALLY a caver!!! North Alabama!

Postby jips30 » Jan 23, 2008 1:01 am

Hello - name is Jips - Moved to north Alabama (just a few miles west of Decatur) from south Florida Dec. 2006. (miss surfing - but definitely a better trade for mountains, woods, rivers, CAVES!!!)

Cathedral Caverns in Woodville was 'ok', (went about 3 weeks ago) but I was asking the tourguide about tours OFF the beaten path. He said the owner hasnt done one in a long time, but might consider it. I just hate tourist traps. I think they ruined it by concreting a sidewalk all the way through it --- It holds 4 world records apparently, so I think it's a shame they commercialized it... I DONT WANT to do caves that everyone knows about - I want "secret" caves. or at least forrgotten caves.

So, Ive been driving right past what appeared to be a sinkhole, or cave for a year now, and about a week ago, finally decided to pull over and look inside. I HAD to go in. but it would have to wait.. im not foolish - I had to get a partner for safety. Im not up to speed yet on all the terminology, but it's a fantastic cave - as soon as you drop down about 6-7 feet down, a valley with two ledges splits down below you... It drops about 20 feet, and you have to crawl on the shelf until it tapers down into whatd appear to be the main chamber. There are two crawl tunnels leading on, but my cousin and I only had about 20 minutes before an appointment. I CANT WAIT to press on!!! the trash and litter was nil past the mouth of the cave, which I believe just washed into it from the drainage ditch there... so Im guessing this is relatively unknown. I know a few people have been in, but its not abused. I plan to clean the opening out, and then sort of try to hide the enterance with the branches there so even fewer people would find this. Is this selfish?? IM HOOKED!!!
Now, I live in a small valley called "Denbo Hollow" - (locals may know of it). Ive found now two caves in 3 days of looking - one by the road (public access) and the other on my parents property (they live two houses down). I cant contain myself about going into the one on our property. I found one opening with a massive boulder with a massive tree growing on it hanging WAY over what appears to be safe. another boulder out front appears to prop the overhang up. To be honest it scares the piss out of me. I was nervous slithering down to try to see into the enterance. It has about a 16-18 (or so) inch wide passage that opens up and down just a few feet back- What scares the dickens out of me - is that, could I possibly JAR it loose while wiggling through there??? I will post photos if anyone is interested. I would love a more experienced persons opinion on safety - it appears the boulder has these two small stones wedged into place, and that if I kicked one our it would come crashing in...
The other opening I found, 50 or so feet down from that one (Im sure they connect somehow, because I could feel rushing air in this opening) has only about a six inch opening tall and about a foot wide - not much - but I could flash my light down and see the first chamber - It was ALMOST as if this chamber was a room for someone. (I THINK i see a section of PVC pipe - but not sure) VERY square. I see an old beer bottle straight down, but it couldve washed in through the opening. one crawl chamber goes off to the left, one to the right. I KNOW no ones been in here for 10 plus years, if not more like 20-30+, because of the way the mountain drains, and how the dirt has built up the opening to the first chamber. It wouldve taken sometime to almost seal the opening. I am going to dig an opening in the dirt large enough for me to squeeze through, and drop in. I will take before and after pics.

My uncle tells the story of Decatur, AL being a treasury for the confederates during the civil war. The story goes, when the union forces were advancing... one wagon of gold went south towards cullman. He was apparently captured. One wagon headed west - (thatd be close to me...) - history, legend, fable, whatever has it, that the gold was parked in a cave, and the enterence dynomited... never to be seen again. The man apparently died in captivity and never told. Has everyone else heard this?

Sorry so long winded in the into - just excited! :banana: :banana_yay:

Jips (James) - Trinity, AL
jips30
Infrequent Poster

Re: FINALLY a caver!!! North Alabama!

Postby mgmills » Jan 23, 2008 6:51 am

jips30 wrote:
Cathedral Caverns in Woodville was 'ok', (went about 3 weeks ago) but I was asking the tourguide about tours OFF the beaten path. He said the owner hasnt done one in a long time, but might consider it. I just hate tourist traps. I think they ruined it by concreting a sidewalk all the way through it --- It holds 4 world records apparently, so I think it's a shame they commercialized it... I DONT WANT to do caves that everyone knows about - I want "secret" caves. or at least forrgotten caves.

My uncle tells the story of Decatur, AL being a treasury for the confederates during the civil war. The story goes, when the union forces were advancing... one wagon of gold went south towards cullman. He was apparently captured. One wagon headed west - (thatd be close to me...) - history, legend, fable, whatever has it, that the gold was parked in a cave, and the enterence dynomited... never to be seen again. The man apparently died in captivity and never told. Has everyone else heard this?

Sorry so long winded in the into - just excited! :banana: :banana_yay:

Jips (James) - Trinity, AL

Catherdral was commercialized many years a go. It is a nice cave though.

Regarding the Confederate gold. That gold is in every cove in the south :grin:

Seriously though, you need to check out a grotto (club) near you. Go to this link http://www.nssio.org/Find_Grotto.cfm and click on Alabama. There is a grotto in Huntsville and one in Cullman (both near you). It may take a couple of meetings to get to know people and they will probably not tell you too many locations until they get to know you a bit.

Welcome to the caving community! :bananabat:
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby wendy » Jan 23, 2008 1:17 pm

ditto what Martha said about joining a grotto. Have you joined the NSS? I love gettingmy NSS News in the mail every month.

It's a shame you had to leave Florida to get into caving. We have lots of caves here, and no they are not all underwater either. They aren't exactly TAG caves, but they are still caves.

Welcome and looking forward to finding you underground sometime.

Wendy
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby baa43003 » Jan 23, 2008 10:59 pm

It holds 4 world records apparently, so I think it's a shame they commercialized it...

Hmmm... Do you happen to remember what these "world records" were for?

I have had visitors on my cave tours tell me they had been in some cave in the east that claims to hold the record for being the world's darkest cave. I wonder if this is the one.
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby Phil Winkler » Jan 24, 2008 10:38 am

I think they used to claim the largest (widest) entrance.
Goliath (?) was the largest stalagmite in the world.
It could also be one of the longest caves without a second entrance so you have to turn around and go back. :rofl:
Natural Bridge Caverns in New Braunfels, TX purposely dug a second entrance to avoid that.

Can't imagine what the 4th one would be, but many of the Huntsville old timers know this cave very well.

Boy, you have to love google. Look at this:
from: http://www.showcaves.com/english/explai ... stics.html
We found numerous caves on earth, which tell strange things. Almost everybody tries to look a bit better than he really is. The most impressive example in this sense is Cathedral Caverns in the USA. It seems they lately searched the internet or probably speleologic literature, to find new statistical highlights. So they now offer six different world records, which are either a bit complicated, or simply fantastic.

1. It has the widest entrance of any commercial cave in the world, which is a complicated phrase but nevertheless not true.
2. Cathedral Caverns is home to Goliath, the largest stalagmite in the world, 18m tall and 61m in circumference.
3. Cathedral Caverns has the largest flow stone wall, which is 9.7m tall and 41m long.
4. Really weird is the largest frozen waterfall, no size given though.
5. Cathedral Caverns has the largest stalagmite forest of any cave in the world, again no dimension given.
6. Cathedral Caverns has the most improbably formation in the world which is a stalagmite that is 10.6m tall and 7mm wide!

We guess, there are at least three more world records:

1. Cathedral Caverns has the world's most faked world records.
2. Cathedral Caverns has the coolest and most educated cave guides in the world.
3. Cathedral Cave is the most improbably cave in the world.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby adleedy » Jan 24, 2008 1:55 pm

Welcome to the forum :waving:
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby jips30 » Jan 25, 2008 10:31 am

had a blast in this cave the other night - GREAT starter cave. its a kick in the teeth that way in the back I found "X ---->" inscribed on the wall. Its not THAT difficult to find your way through it. This is a GREAT starter cave. It's got some neat turns, several natural bridges, and an old diamond mine at the end.. HA HA just kidding. There are several more crawl spaces to explore, but I didnt have long the other night. Also, my cousin is a fat-ass, and his ol' lady keeps him on a short leesh.

I bet all the trash could be cleaned out in an hours time. I found an old Budweiser can with a PULL TAB! thats gotta be 20-25 years old, early 80's, late 70's? I think even though it was littler, it was OLD litter. (a good sign!)

Note to self... The salty looking stuff clinging to the walls that looks like salt... feels like salt...shouldve been salt... doesnt TASTE like salt... quite disgusting tasting!

not to be crude... but my cousin called this vagina caverns... shoulda seen one picture...

jips30
Infrequent Poster

Postby rebelfirefighter » Nov 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Did you ever explore the caves on your property that you mentioned?
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions