19 and trying to get the most out of life

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

19 and trying to get the most out of life

Postby machine23 » Dec 30, 2007 10:48 pm

20 in may, but that doesnt matter. my name is james. i live in northern california. nevada county. only been to one cave. hawver cave. before it got locked up thanks to a bunch of partiers and graffiti artists.. :hairpull: . anyway i realized i really enjoyed it when i went, and want to continue the sport. i am trying to build up a nice pile of caving equipment; headlights, flashlights, hiking boots, proper cave clothing....anyone know what the best type of material is for cave clothing? and thats my nice lil' intro. g'nite
caves rock...no pun intended
machine23
Infrequent Poster

Re: 19 and trying to get the most out of life

Postby Amocholes » Jan 1, 2008 4:24 am

Hi James,
I used to live out in Applegate CA so I know your area pretty well. Although I wasn't doing caving when I was there. I just spent a week in Auburn just before Christmas. I wanted to see how things have changed. Surprisingly things have not changed that much.

As far as equipment goes there's a lot of good information in the Equipment forum. http://forums.caves.org/viewforum.php?f=2
I have a Lost Creek cavesuit. Really heavy nylon coveralls. I've been wearing the same set for 10 years now. Every couple of years I go to Walmart and buy a pair of cheap hiking boots. I would suggest knee and elbow pads. You may not think you need them now, but you will have wished that you used them, when you hit 40.

I would suggest finding a local Grotto and going on some trips with them. They can fill you in on what works best for the caves in your area.
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby Realms » Jan 1, 2008 6:03 pm

welcome aboard James. Hope this site helps you with questions you may have. Also incase you havent already, look up a local cave group by going to http://www.caves.org. That will get you to some local caving buddies.

good luck!

Nathan
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jan 7, 2008 7:18 pm

You're nearish to Sacramento right? I know there are cavers in Sacremento (I went to a Halloween party there :banana: ) Mother Lode? grotto is based in Sacramento if I remember correctly. I'm guessing they might be your closest grotto.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Return to Caver Introductions