Amature caver from Kentucky here

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Amature caver from Kentucky here

Postby KeyserSoze » Nov 6, 2007 6:01 pm

Hello everyone

I started caving in Kentucky just this year. I usually go with my bother and my two friends, but sometimes we take other people also. I have explored about 7 different caves so far, all varying sizes. It is getting harder and harder for us to find caves without being in a grotto, so I am going to a Louisville Grotto meeting tomorrow and I hope to join.

I like this site so far and I think I'll stick around for a while.
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Nov 6, 2007 6:29 pm

Welcome! :waving:

Love your user name. Reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movies. Can we call you "Verbal" for short?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Amature caver from Kentucky here

Postby Jimmy Nelson » Nov 6, 2007 6:38 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:so I am going to a Louisville Grotto meeting tomorrow and I hope to join.

Hello and Welcome! :waving:
I'm a member of the Louisville Grotto, you'll love it. Great group of fun, loving people that, LOVE to go caving. I'll see ya there. Just look for me.

:cavingrocks:
Jimmy Nelson
NSS # 59247
Vice-Chairman
Louisville Grotto

Geology: where gneiss people study schist :grin:

"Be miserable or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
Jimmy Nelson
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jimmy Nelson
NSS #: 59247

Postby KeyserSoze » Nov 6, 2007 9:00 pm

Cool, thanks.

I'll be there with my brother Chris. My real name is Tim, but you guys can call me Keyser on the forum. I always use that name on the internet, as do others.

I'm hoping to find somewhere to buy a cheap caving helmet soon. The cheapest one I have found online was like 50$.
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069

Postby NZcaver » Nov 6, 2007 10:52 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:I'm hoping to find somewhere to buy a cheap caving helmet soon. The cheapest one I have found online was like 50$.

Yeah, caving/climbing helmets mostly cost around $50 and up.

Occasionally you can find them on clearance at outdoor stores for much less. There's always eBay too, for new stuff as well as used. You take a chance when buying anything used, but hey you might end up with a good deal. You might even find some caver you meet up with at a grotto meeting has a spare one for sale.

If you search the equipment forum, you'll see some threads that discuss the pros and cons of different caving helmets. Might give you some ideas.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby rbryant » Nov 14, 2007 7:25 pm

Hey..welcome to the forum. How did the Louisville grotto meeting go? I would love to attend and maybe join up, but I live a couple of hours away, and it's hard to make that drive on weekdays. There are a couple of local grottos near me, but I have not had much luck with finding caving partners.
rbryant
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jimmy Nelson » Nov 14, 2007 7:33 pm

rbryant wrote:I would love to attend and maybe join up, but I live a couple of hours away, and it's hard to make that drive on weekdays. There are a couple of local grottos near me, but I have not had much luck with finding caving partners.

Where do you live? You're more than welcome to come caving with us, we'll have a blast :bananaguitar:. We have members all over the place.
Jimmy Nelson
NSS # 59247
Vice-Chairman
Louisville Grotto

"Be miserable or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
Jimmy Nelson
Infrequent Poster

Postby incavenow » Nov 14, 2007 9:59 pm

Welcome Tim. I was just chatting with a fellow in Kentucky on a game site I frequent and he was telling me about a cave on his farm that apparently hasn't been surveyed. I told him about this group. Hopefully he'll show up and ya'll can get a good scoop on a new survey.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby rbryant » Nov 15, 2007 10:34 pm

Jimmy Nelson wrote:
rbryant wrote:I would love to attend and maybe join up, but I live a couple of hours away, and it's hard to make that drive on weekdays. There are a couple of local grottos near me, but I have not had much luck with finding caving partners.

Where do you live? You're more than welcome to come caving with us, we'll have a blast :bananaguitar:. We have members all over the place.

I think you guys have a trip coming up in December....I've exchanged emails with JPat about the upcoming trip and he is supposed to let me know something. Actually I think the Dec trip is at Sloans Valley....I would definitely love to come along.
rbryant
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jimmy Nelson » Nov 16, 2007 5:42 am

rbryant wrote:I think you guys have a trip coming up in December....I've exchanged emails with JPat about the upcoming trip and he is supposed to let me know something. Actually I think the Dec trip is at Sloans Valley....I would definitely love to come along.

Yep! the Grotto is going to Sloans December 7th - 9th. I'm gonna miss this one though :cry:. If you can make it, come on out. From what I hear, the water level is so low, it may never be like this again, for quite some time.
Jimmy Nelson
NSS # 59247
Vice-Chairman
Louisville Grotto

Jimmy Nelson
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions